Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

crock pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crock pot

It is winter and time to pull out the crock pot. Does anyone have recipes to share?
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

No recipes in particular, but I have a very good crock pot recipe book. It's called "Fix It And Forget It" and has tons of crock pot recipes.
    One thing I do pretty often is throw chicken breasts in (frozen even) and then throw a couple of cans of cream of chicken soup and cook it all day. The chicken is super tender by dinner time. An hour or so before we eat I throw in some rice (not minute rice) and sometimes a bag of frozen veggies and have a full meal ready in no time.
    Another thing I do is throw a whole bottle of barbecue sauce in with chicken and cook all day. Then you can shred it and eat it on a bun.
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Crock pots scare me. I'm afraid to leave anything on all day while I'm not home. I guess I was married to a fire fighter for too long!

Jenn

Comment

crock pot recipes

Hey. One that is really good and easy...Take a pork roast (loin) seer it on the stove and then put in crock pot with one can of golden mushroom soup and one quartered onion. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. Great with mashed potatoes The next day leftovers are great, too. Just shred what is left and eat on Hawaiian rolls.

This one was sent to me by a very good cook but I haven't made it yet.
        POOR MAN'S STEAK (FOR CROCKPOT)

3 pounds ground chuck
        1 cup cracker crumbs
        1/4 teaspoon pepper
        1 cup water
        2 1/2 teaspoon salt
        1/4 teaspoon garlic salt (opt)
        1 thinly sliced onion
        2 cans Franco American Beef Gravy

Mix all ingredients except the soup, onion and water. Pat into 10 x 15 pan or cookie sheet 1/2" thick. Let set overnight or 8 hours in refrigerator. Cut in squares and roll in flour and fry until light brown. Put in crockpot and cover with soup mixed with water (1 soup can of water). Cook in crockpot for 6-8 hours on low.

Here is another from the same lady.
        CROCKPOT ROAST STICKY CHICKEN

4 teaspoons salt
        2 teaspoons paprika
        1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
        1 teaspoon onion powder
        1 teaspoon thyme
        1 teaspoon white pepper
        1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
        1/2 teaspoon black pepper
        1 large roasting chicken
        1 cup chopped onion

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distribute and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.
        When ready to cook chicken put it in the crockpot and do not add any liquid. As the cooking process goes on it will produce it's own juices. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours and it will be falling off the bone.

Comment

Luanne,

We do crockpot about once a week. It is great because you come home to a full meal if you add a bag of lettuce and a baguette. Slow cooking can also mask poor quality cuts of meat too for those of us on a budget.

We make mushroom smothered beef and sort of wing the recipe with whatever we have on hand. Basically, take round roast (or another beef cut ) add 1/3 cup wine (don't skimp on the wine, however, save it and drink the rest of the bottle with dinner) , 1/2 chopped onion, package of sliced button mushrooms, cream mushroom soup (optional) add some spices like bay leaf...and voila...it is an awesome dinner.

We've never had this turn out bad and sometimes we have even substituted beer for wine and forgot to put in the mushroom soup! If you don't have mushroom soup, just add more alcohol to get a sharper flavor.

Such is the life of a resident and a working mom

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Chocolate Mud Cake for crock pot

I don't have a crock pot but found this recipe for those of you who do. It looks pretty good - maybe I should get one!

CHOCOLATE MUD CAKE

INGREDIENTS
            1 cup all-purpose flour
            2 teaspoons baking powder
            6 tablespoons butter
            2 ounces semisweet chocolate (or 1/3 cup chocolate chips)
            2/3 plus 1/3 cup sugar
            3 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
            1 tablespoon vanilla extract
            1/4 teaspoon salt
            1/3 cup milk
            1 egg yolk
            1/3 cup brown sugar
            11/2 cups hot water
            Whipped cream or ice cream

1. Coat the inside of a 2 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. (Note: the cake's cooking time and final appearance will vary depending on your crock's size.)
            2. Whisk together the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water and mix well.
            3. Whisk in the 2/3 cup of sugar, 3 tablespoons of cocoa, vanilla extract, salt, milk, and egg yolk. Add the flour mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed.
            4. Pour the batter into the slow cooker and spread it evenly. In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar, cocoa, and hot water until the sugar is dissolved.
            5. Pour the mixture over the batter in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1 to 2 hours, depending on the size of the crock pot.
            6. Even when done, the cake will be very moist and floating on a layer of molten chocolate, but you'll know it's ready when nearly all of the cake is set and the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pot. (As you check, try not to let the condensed steam from the lid drip onto the cake.)
            7. When it's done, turn off the power and remove the lid. Let it cool for 25 minutes, then serve it in bowls topped with whipped cream or ice cream. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Comment

Working...
            X