Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Favorite Quick/Easy Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Quick/Easy Recipes

One of my fave easy dishes

Chicken and white bean chili

chopped onion
    1 tsp cumin
    1 can chicken broth
    1 jar green salsa
    2 cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
    chicken

Saute chopped onion in evoo. Add cumin. Add chicken broth, salsa and beans. Add chicken. Bring to a boil then simmer on low uncovered. Let it simmer for a while if you want it thick like a chili. Simmer shorter for soup-like consistency. Season with s/p.

This is SO delicious!

Comment

Re: Favorite Quick/Easy Recipes

Fiesta Skillet Dinner

1 lb ground turkey
      1 small onion - chopped
      1 red pepper - chopped
      4 ribs celery - chopped
      1 cup white, black, or pinto beans - presoaked and prepared or 1 can beans
      1 (1.25 oz) package taco seasoning
      2 cups water
      1 cup salsa
      garlic powder to taste
      red pepper flakes to taste
      1 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
      lettuce/mixed greens (substitutions ok)
      shredded cheddar cheese

1. In a large deep skillet, cook turkey and onion until meat is no longer pink.

2. Stir in pepper, celery, white beans, taco seasoning, water, salsa, garlic power, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.

3. Add rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed. Don't cook too long or your pepper and celery will get soggy.

4. Cover dinner plates with lettuce, spoon meat mixture onto lettuce, sprinkle with cheddar, and enjoy.

I'm always trying to add extra veggies to recipes and in things like this you can reduce the meat and add more beans to make the meat go further. Different veggies can be substituted -- probably even frozen chopped veggies, frozen corn, or frozen peas would work. I serve this salad-style but it would probably be good with tortillas or as an burrito/enchillada/taco filling too. Probably, with a few more cups of liquid, this be a nice soup too.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I just made this with my own substitutions to bend it to my needs and it was quite yummy. I added zucchini and did a three cheese tortellini instead of chicken. Yay for searching through old threads!

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        Ok, so DrK will be home late and I just finished making dinner. It looks and smells good and it's a super-easy one-pot recipe that appears to be worthy of sharing. I used a recipe with my own substitutions. Here you go.

2 tbsp olive oil
        1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
        1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
        4 cloves garlic, chopped
        1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
        2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
        1 can diced tomatos w/ liquid
        1/2 cup grated parmesan
        1 lb chicken filled totellini (fresh or frozen but defrosted)
        salt, ground black pepper, and dried parsley to taste

1. Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add eggplant, bell peppers, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stiring occassionally, until veggies begin to soften. About 7 minutes.

2. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, cook, stiring, for 1 minute.

3. Add broth, tomatos w/ liquid, and tortellini. Cover and simmer over medium heat, stirring occassionally, until tortellini are cooked through and broth is absorbed. About 15 minutes. Note: the liquid will not cover the tortellini but they will cook and will puff up as they cook.

4. (And this is the part I'll do when DrK gets home. Soon!) Fold in the parsley and 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle w/ remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan.
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Yay! Glas you liked it.

Comment

That was "glad"

Comment

Jane, here's another one you may like. I tried this out last night and it was delicious.

10-12 bone-in chicken thighs
              salt and ground black pepper
              1/2 c olive oil
              6 red potatos, quartered
              12oz pearl onions, peeled helps to blanch them first)
              8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
              2 lemons cut into 1/4 inch rounds
              Rosemary

1. Preheat oven to 350F

2. Season chicken pieces w/ salt & pepper. In a heavy-bottomed casserole with a tight-fitting lid (I used a large oven-safe frying pan), heat 1/4 cup of olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add the chicken, skin-side down. Cook until golden, about 5 minutes, then flip and repeat on the other side.

3. Add potatoes and onions. Combine garlic, lemons and rosemary with the remaining olive oil and pour over chicken, potatoes and onions. Cover, place the whole pan in the oven and bake until potatoes are tender and chicken is done, about 40 minutes.

Comment

MMM that does look good! Thanks.
                -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Too funny...I just started a thread asking for ideas w/ my slow cooker & lo & behold Mrs.K's recipe could do the trick! Now how does one adjust it for a slow cooker?

Comment

Working...
                  X