Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Freezing a decorated cake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing a decorated cake?

Hey ladies, so I know its only August and A's birthday isn't until December but with #2 coming in November I'm trying to make some decisions about her birthday party.

Her party will be held 12/26 or 27 at the IL's. We will be traveling to their house on 12/22 most likely. I would like to be able to make her cake again this year but especially if the party is the 26th I don't see how we'll be able to make that work.

So my question is has anyone frozen a completely decorated cake? Most likely it will be buttercream, not fondant, as I don't have practice with fondant yet and probably won't have time to experiment with it before then. I read on a cake forum that you can completely decorate it, put it in a cake box, wrap the cake box in saran wrap and as long as you don't unwrap the box until the cake is completely thawed (24-48) hours you shouldn't have issues. True?

Thanks!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

For our wedding cake we threw it in the freezer for a few hours (long enough to allow the frosting to harden without getting freezer burn) and then sarran wrapped the cake, and then covered it in aluminum foil. Now we did this because we wanted it to last a year for our anniversary. When it was time to thaw the cake I took the foil and sarran wrap off right away and let it thaw (that way the frosting was still intact). Obviously you don't need it to last a year... but it is just a thought to sarran wrap it directly.

Are you planning on making a round cake rather than 9x13?

Also have you thought about baking the cake and freezing that - and just frosting it on her birthday?
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Thanks Marissa - I guess I didn't think about how people freeze their wedding toppers. The cake I did for her 1st birthday was pretty detailed, it took me several hours to decorate which is why I think decorating it on the day of the party or the day before (Christmas) would be a time crunch. It will most likely be a shaped cake, right now we're thinking a lady bug theme.

Comment

Do you have Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cake Bible? I'll bet there is an answer in there or that she has an opinion on it. If you don't have it, I can look later and let you know.

Comment

I don't have that one Nellie - if you have a chance, NO RUSH, I'd love to know what she says.

Thanks!

Comment

I've never done it. I've frozen a cake with the crumb coating on, and that's been fine. My concern would be that you can't really get the tight seal against the cake if it's decorated, and so your frosting would end up tasting kind of stale or freezer burned.

I do need to get that cake bible book ....

Comment

If you are planning to freeze a frosted cake, place it uncovered in the freezer just until the frosting is very firm and it will not be damaged by wrapping. Wrap the cake first in plastic wrap, then in heavy-duty aluminum foil, trying to eliminate as much air as possible without pressing on the decorations....Delicate decorations can be protected further by placing the wrapped cake in a rigid box.
              Two layers of foil -- bring together foil on long sides and fold over several times then do the short end the same. Defrost overnight in the fridge...let it come to room temp...When you take it out of freezer take off wrapping while frozen sollid before putting in the fridge in an airtight container. Need to defrost slowly to prevent water drops on frosting.

from p 164, Tips for Showcase Cakes, The Cake Bible, RLB

Comment

Thanks Nellie!

Comment

Sounds like MarissaNicole did it right for her wedding cake, too. Good luck!
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I missed that Marissa typed just about the same thing! I was so intent on typing out what was in the book. I think the defrosting in the fridge is important. Now I remember that we did that in the bakery I worked in. The cakes didn't have their final layer of frosting, I don't think, but did have a crumb coat. They would get water droplets if not fully defrosted in the fridge. Good luck!
                    (btw, the quote is a direct quote and the part below is my paraphrasing more of what is in the book).

Comment

That sounds like what we did for our wedding cake- and it was pretty yummy even a year later.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                      X