Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cake balls - worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cake balls - worth it?

I've been wanting to attempt these. I think Jenn P originally posted the link to Bakerella. I know that Sylvia has made them too. So....is it worth the hassle? Can you actually achieve cute-ness? I would like to try to make them for a Back to School BBQ this weekend. I think I'd have to start tonight. Help!
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

I have done them, they are a lot of work... but freeze well! I freeze and have them on hand for entertaining. I take them out and dip them last minute.
    Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
    Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

You can go all out and make the cuteness ones or you can just make balls and they are JUST as good - I have made them several times and just make the balls and they always go like lightning at events. And Amber's right they do freeze really well if you want to make lots and keep them for another event or if you have a lot left.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Angie, if you're doing just balls...they're not too bad. But if you're making them into cupcake pops, prepare yourself for frustration the first go around. I can give you some tips I've learned along the way, if you're shaping them into cupcakes.
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

they're a pain in the ass. I think Sylvia has it down to a science. Honestly - I didn't like the taste. Way too sweet for me.

Now recently, bakerella posted pie pops ... THAT I find intriguing.

Comment

I'm going to try those, jenn. They're soooo cute!
            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Pie pops? *la la la*

Comment

Have you guys ever tried Oreo truffles? They look like the cake balls but are with Oreo and cream cheese.. no actual oven baking involved... the only downside is when they aren't being served they must be in the fridge. Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but let me know if you are interested in the recipe.
                -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

They sound good and I like the idea of no cooking. Please share!
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Oreo Truffles:

I always get a box of golden oreos and a box of regular oreos, so I follow the instructions with each box and then coat half of each type of Oreo in regular chocolate and the other half in white chocolate. Obviously you can mix things up and get fancy by dying the white chocolate colors.

Ingredients
                    Box oreos
                    8 ounces cream cheese
                    chocolate to melt

1. Using a food processor, grind cookies to a fine powder.
                    2. With a mixer, blend cookie powder and cream cheese until thoroughly mixed (there should be no white traces of cream cheese).
                    3. Roll into small balls and place on wax-lined cookie sheet.
                    4. Refrigerate for 45 minutes. (I skip this a lot only putting it in for 5-10 minutes and it never causes problems)
                    5. Line two cookie sheets with wax paper.
                    6. In double-boiler, melt milk chocolate. ( I melt my chocolate in the microwave... I chop it up into small pieces and microwave for a minute, mix it, and then another thirty seconds.)
                    7. Dip balls and coat thoroughly.
                    8. With slotted spoon, lift balls out of chocolate and let excess chocolate drip off.
                    9. Place on wax-paper-lined cookie sheet.
                    10. In separate double boiler, melt white chocolate.
                    11. Using a fork, drizzle white chocolate over balls. (I put the white chocolate in a plastic bag, cut a tiny whole and use that to drizzle)
                    12. Let cool.
                    13. Store in airtight container, in refrigerator.
                    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I just looked up cake balls and they look sooooo good!!!

Comment

Ohhhh the oreo truffles is something that I have been looking for FOREVER! But I didn't know what exactly I was googling for - that's EXACTLY what I was thinking. I am going to make them tomorrow

I haven't tried cake balls but I have heard they are a huge pain in the butt to make!

Comment

We made the Oreo ones at Easter - they were to DIE for!
                          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                            We made the Oreo ones at Easter - they were to DIE for!
                            Cheri were they THAT bad to try to make? I am excited to eat them but I am not so sure about the preparing part!

Comment

I made the cake balls once. Angie - I would definitely recommend a trial run if you are going to try to make them look like the little cupcakes. Jenn - I didn't really care for them either. The texture threw me off. My kids didn't like them but the adults at the party we were at scarfed them down.

Comment

Working...
                              X