Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cinnamon - I don't like it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinnamon - I don't like it

For my birthday my colleague asked me what kind of cake I liked, my boss usually bakes something on our birthdays for everyone in the office to share. I told her I'll eat anything but I don't really like cinnamon, except a tiny pinch in apple pie.

Well my birthday came and apparently my boss took it as a personal offence that I don't like cinnamon. She announced it to everyone and it was talk of the office. I didn't know what to say
    I tried to explain that it's just something I didn't grow up with, I find it a very overpowering flavour. Since it appears in many cakes/desserts, I didn't want her baking something that I wouldn't like, since she asked me and all.

Anyone else who doesn't like cinnamon? Is it really that popular?
    I'm afraid that it's akin to someone telling the Irish they don't like potatoes. We have a hard time understanding that
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

I enjoy cinnamon, but yes it can be way overpowering sometimes. To each their own. I would have asked for no coconut or Chocolate. Its amazing the looks you get when you say you don't eat chocolate. Obviously this woman and the others didn't have much to talk about. Must have been a slow tv night last night.

I love potatoes.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I knew someone who didn't like cinnamon. Her husband, who was a jackass, bought a huge costco-sized container of it. Presumably as a "joke".

She's the only one I've ever known. I don't think it's so weird that I'd spread it all over the office, though.
      Last edited by poky; 10-05-2009, 12:30 PM.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I love cinnamon! But that being said, when I bake for someone (whether it be a friend, family member, or coworker) in mind, I ALWAYS put their considerations first, allergy AND preference. I've known plenty of people who didn't like chocolate, cinnamon, eggs, alcohol-flavors, coconut, nuts...and the list goes on. That is ridiculous that your preference was the talk of the office...you are not the only one with preferences!!
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

What did she end up making for you?

Was she teasing you? I don't think it is wierd for you to say what you don't like afterall it was YOUR birthday. Its not like you told her you HAD to have a certain dessert?

Although I do LOVE cinnamon, everyone has their likes and dislikes, especially when it comes to desserts!
          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I know lots of people who don't like cinnamon. I think it strange that your boss would announce such a thing in the office! STRANGE!

It's all personal preference... what one person likes, another won't! I don't find it odd at all.

Comment

I personally like cinnamon, but I don't think that it's strange not to

Why would she even ask if she was going to be judgmental?
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

DF was telling me that the cheaper varieties can actually be toxic...cant remember why, though. You could use that as an excuse!
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Your boss is being weird. I love cinnamon, but I think anything with a distinctive flavor or texture is fair game for not being liked, and cinnamon definitely qualifies.
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

It was weird. We were in the conference room, everyone said happy birthday and she goes to cut the cake and says. "Don't worry, there's no cinnamon in it!" then goes on to tell everyone that I don't like cinnamon like I'm crazy. I'm sitting there like WTF? I think she was in an especially bitchy mood and it may have had nothing to do with me but I was left wondering what I did wrong.
                    Are you supposed to say you'll eat anything even if you won't? I didn't provide a list, it was one thing. I didn't ask her to make a fricken cake, which I think came from a box but that's beside the point.

And yes, they had nothing better to talk about. Those office things are always awkward.

I'm probably reading too much into it but you know when soemthing bizarre like that happens....I was worried that I'd offended someone.

Comment

If someone wants to be offended about cinnamon, then they're just looking for something to be upset about.

That said, I think you're crazy. I love cinnamon.

Comment

Your boss sounds immature. Personally, I love cinnamon and add it to recipes often (even to matzo balls). If I were baking for you, it would be helpful to know that you don't like it.
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Oh Mrs C, I completely understand where you are coming from! Cinnamon seems to be in all baked goods over here. It drives me nuts and DH always laughs at me because I can pick the flavour out all the time. I love it where it belongs - cinnamon rolls and cinnamon toast and apple pie, but hate it when it is in EVERYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Lamorna View Post
                            Oh Mrs C, I completely understand where you are coming from! Cinnamon seems to be in all baked goods over here. It drives me nuts and DH always laughs at me because I can pick the flavour out all the time. I love it where it belongs - cinnamon rolls and cinnamon toast and apple pie, but hate it when it is in EVERYTHING!
                            Same here

When I was talking about this at work, my coworker from Madrid was nodding furiously and everyone else was looking at me like they don't quite understand. It's a cultural thing. It was quite surprising for me to find it in so many things.

Comment

I wonder if that's why European baked goods taste so different to Americans?

I'm thinking now- I can't remember a baked good recently that didn't have cinnamon in it. and some of the savory things as well (Mexican hot chocolate- now if you haven't had it, you must try it before you totally bash the stuff)

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X