Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cooking. You and the Dr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking. You and the Dr

J just cracks me up. So last Thanksgiving J got it into his mind he needed to cook a Turkey. This happens ON THANKSGIVING DAY. So he goes to the store to get a Turkey. All they have left is a 14lbs Turkey. This does not deter him. He buys it and stuff to make it and cranberry sauce. He goes home cooks a full turkey and cranberry sauce just for him. When I moved here in June the left over cranberry sauce was still in the fridge. He has also done something like this with a brisket back in Med school. Oh and he taught me to make his favorite: Oregano Chicken.

My favorite part of this, is J always tells me he can't cook. Even today, I just asked him if he would turn the rice cooker on 30 minutes before I would get home from work. I am working till 8 tonight and he is post call. I show him how much rice and water to put in and he looks at me pathetically and says, can you just leave the rice in there so I don't have to remember and I can just fill the water up to the line and turn it on?

Wednesday I am making Mac and Cheese. I will have it all ready in the casserole dish with instructions on preheating and when to put it in the oven. I try to make it easy as possible for him.

I love how he has himself convinced he can't cook.. except for when he can. Our doctors crack me up
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Hehe, that's cute! DH is a great cook, and he likes to try new recipes. He gets nervous about cooking new things for other people, though, so he prefers to have a trial run before we make something for company. I know it's just because he has really high standards for himself (in pretty much everything...), but it amuses me.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

My brothers both had to know how to cook at least one thing if only to impress their girlfriends. They both know their way around the kitchen. DrK on the other hand. . . don't get me started.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        My brothers both had to know how to cook at least one thing if only to impress their girlfriends. They both know their way around the kitchen. DrK on the other hand. . . don't get me started.
        You mentioned how he wanted to boil pasta in the skillet. Which leads me to wonder: what did he eat before he met you? Most bachelors are forced to learn to make pasta, scramble an egg, etc. How'd he get around that?

Eating habits of bachelors is on my radar ever since I recently asked my husband about it and learned for the first time that he used to often eat dinner straight out of the sauce pan he cooked it in.
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

DH is an awesome cook. We are both big time foodies and DH is always in search of new recipes....and is also one of those people that can dream up stuff on the fly...a la Iron Chef. I just spent a small fortune on knives...he felt we had to have a certain brand. I, on the other hand, am the baker. I do not have the patience to feed myself but can muster tons of it to make dessert.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

DH is actually a better cook then I am, 90% of the time when we have a dinner party or guests he cooks And he likes to when he has time to do it right. But I cook day to day and I'm a recipe person, he just throws things together and its always good.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

You mentioned how he wanted to boil pasta in the skillet. Which leads me to wonder: what did he eat before he met you? Most bachelors are forced to learn to make pasta, scramble an egg, etc. How'd he get around that?
              He ate a lot of fast food and take out. Quiznos chicken subs, I believe. In enormous quantities. Lots of convenience food too like chips and salsa. Even when I was commuting and freezing meals for him, he'd eat very few of the meals I froze because defrosting them in the microwave was too much for him.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Auspicious View Post
                Eating habits of bachelors is on my radar ever since I recently asked my husband about it and learned for the first time that he used to often eat dinner straight out of the sauce pan he cooked it in.
                Russ didn't bother with a pan....he used to eat beans straight out of the can. As in, he kept a spare can opener and spoon in his med school bag so he could eat. He still does this if I don't cook. Tuna outta the can too.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Yeah I think I've heard the sonnet to the awesomeness of Quizno's.
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

DH is an amazing cook - he earned his first date by bringing me homemade creme brulee. He loves to make desserts, but can throw together a delicious meal. We work together very well in the kitchen, I am better with creative ideas and he perfects them with just-the-right spices.

We joke around that I married him for his homemade bread...mmmm. That being said -- I still think my cookies won his heart too!! Although he likes to do much of the cooking, I think the dinner responsibility will fall on my shoulders, which is fine with me because of course, I'll get to play with all of the really nice knive and the Al-Clad and cast-iron pans! Some men have their garage, DH has his kitchen. I can't wait to adopt "his kitchen" !!
                    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                      DH is an amazing cook - he earned his first date by bringing me homemade creme brulee. He loves to make desserts, but can throw together a delicious meal. We work together very well in the kitchen, I am better with creative ideas and he perfects them with just-the-right spices.

We joke around that I married him for his homemade bread...mmmm. That being said -- I still think my cookies won his heart too!! Although he likes to do much of the cooking, I think the dinner responsibility will fall on my shoulders, which is fine with me because of course, I'll get to play with all of the really nice knive and the Al-Clad and cast-iron pans! Some men have their garage, DH has his kitchen. I can't wait to adopt "his kitchen" !!
                      You are making me salivate. creme brulee, homemade bread.... Mmmm mmm good.
                      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

J just cracks me up. So last Thanksgiving J got it into his mind he needed to cook a Turkey.
                        DF has this weird obsession with turkey. He thinks it is the coolest thing that you can cook a turkey and then eat it for the next week.

He has actually come leaps and bounds in cooking since we met 5.5 years ago. He is an expert dessert maker, although the first time he tried to make a Napoleon, he didn't realize he had to whip the cream first before adding it...
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

DH is okay with the basics. He can boil water for pasta, fry an egg, and make rice. But that's about it. Last week I had to work late and he tried, bless his heart, to cook the pork tenderloin I had in the fridge. He just put it in the oven -- no marinade, no seasoning, no browning the outside first. He managed to cook it to the perfect temperature, but it was just this most unappealing looking plain grey-brown slab of meat. In fact, it really looked like, um, part of a horse's anatomy. We died laughing. It was really hard to eat though once we had that visual in our heads. I don't think he'll be trying that again any time soon.

Comment

E has come leaps and bounds since I met him. One of the first meals he tried to make for me involved boiled potatos and mole sauce. No added salt or anything. It was so bad he couldn't even choke it down.

Now he can cook several things quite well.
                            Kris

Comment

This thread is hilarious!

DH read some of these stories with me last night and even he was cracking up. Little did he know I was going to get on here this morning and post about his cooking skills! Mwuahahahah

DH is wonderful and gifted and talented in a lot of areas --- the kitchen is not one of them. He can toast bread in the toaster, scramble eggs (which you can subsequently bounce off the floor), shred cheese, and warm up soup or frozen dinners in the microwave. I think that about covers it. A few months ago I taught him how to brown hamburger meat to make tacos. He tried to replicate this feat on his own a few weeks later, but he put the taco seasoning on the meat before he drained off the grease, so of course the grease and the seasoning - that is, every last bit of flavor - all drained off together. Delish.
                              Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Working...
                              X