Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Does anyone have a good potato soup recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a good potato soup recipe

Can anyone share a good potato soup recipe?
    Needs

I like this one. It's supposed to be similar to the one at Marie Callender's.

5 cups potatoes - peeled and cubed, divided: 4 cups, 1 cup
    1 cup chopped onion
    ¾ cup chopped celery
    1 tsp. salt
    2 cups water
    2 cups half-and-half
    3 Tbsp. butter
    1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    Crumbled bacon (optional)
    1. Place potatoes, onions, celery, and salt in water in a large pot. Simmer about 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
    2. Put vegetables (except 1 cup of potatoes) and 2 cups of water in blender on low setting until chunky.
    3. Return soup to pot and add half-and-half, butter, cheese, and the reserved 1 cup of potatoes. Simmer until hot. Do not boil.
    4. Optional: Top with additional cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Soup (from allrecipes.com)

6 slices bacon, cut into 1/3 inch pieces
      1 onion, finely chopped
      2 (10.5oz) cans condensed chicken broth
      2 c water
      5 large potatoes diced
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/2 tsp dried dillweed
      1/2 tsp ground white pepper
      1/2 c all purpose flour
      2 c half-and-half cream
      1 (12 fl oz) can evaporated milk

Cook bacon and onions in skillet, drain off excess grease.
      Transfer to slow cooker, add broth, water, potatoes, salt, dill, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 h stirring occasionally.
      In a small bowl whisk together the flour and half-and-half. Stir into soup with evap milk. Cover and cook another 30 min before serving.

I made it a little different. I omitted the bacon because I don't eat it. I do think it was missing that smoky/salty flavor though. I used 1 c of chopped onion because I already had a bunch chopped - I have no idea how that converts to onion size. I didn't have condensed broth...I just used 4 cups of chicken broth (no additional water). I also added 2 cups of cooked northern beans for some more protein. I really liked it. Russ even ate it so it wasn't that bad. He said it was missing something though - I think it was that bacon/ham flavor he's used to tasting in cream soups. I added some salt to each individual portion that I ate. Since I omitted the bacon, I think it needed more than just 1/2 t added. I also threw everything (except the cream and flour and evap milk) into the crock pot all at once (onions were raw) and set it to low. It cooked for about 7 hours. I had bite sized pieces of potato and similar sized pieces of onion...and everything cooked fine.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I just tried this one out recently, and it turned out really good. It's a Pampered Chef recipe, and I am sure you could substitute whatever baking dish you have on hand. I own two of things in the recipe and it turned out just fine using my own stuff.

I liked how quick and easy it was. I think it took me under 30 minutes to cook, with prep and putting out fires with the kids it was 45 minutes.

Baked Potato Chowder
        6 servings (serving size 1 1/3 cup)

3 baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 lbs./1.1 kg)
        3 1/2 cups (875 mL) milk
        4 oz. (125 g) cream cheese, softened
        2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
        2-3 green onions with tops (1/4 cup/50 mL sliced)
        4 oz. (125 g) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
        1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
        1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper

Optional toppings such as chopped cooked bacon, sour cream, steamed broccoli or other vegetables.

1. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise with Santoku Knife; place in Deep Covered Baker. Pour 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the milk over potatoes. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 11 minutes. Remove baker from microwave. Move center potatoes to ends of baker and outer potatoes to center. Cover; microwave on HIGH 8-11 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Remove baker from microwave. Coarsely mash potatoes with Mix 'N Chop.

2. Meanwhile, whisk cream cheese until smooth in Classic Batter Bowl. Slowly add remaining 3 cups (750 mL) milk, whisking until smooth. Add cream cheese mixture and butter to baker. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 3-5 minutes or until mixture is hot. Slice green onions with Chef's Knife.

3. Carefully remove baker from microwave. Grate cheddar cheese over chowder using Rotary Grater. add green onions, salt, black pepper and mix using Small Mix 'N Scraper until cheese is melted. Serve with toppings, if desired.
        Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I just made that last night, Crystal! It was served at the last "show" I went to and was yummy. When I made it I tried to lower the fat by using LF cream cheese and skim milk ... it, uh, impacts the taste quite a bit.

I made this one the other day, and both Jacob & DH liked it quite a bit.

New Orleans Corn Bisque with Smoked Sausage
          • 1 (16 ounce) package Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage
          • 1 medium onion, chopped
          • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
          • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
          • 1/2 teaspoon salt
          • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
          • 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
          • 4 cups milk
          • 2 cups cubed potatoes, cooked, drained
          • Chopped parsley (optional)
          • Shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
          1. Cut sausage into 1/2 inch cubes.
          2. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
          3. Add milk. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Add corn and sausage; return to a boil.
          4. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in potatoes; heat through.
          5. Top each serving with parsley and cheese, if desired

Like many of the reviewers on the site, I did not pre-cook the potatoes - I let them cook in the broth. Worked just fine.

Comment

I made the soup with skim milk and regular cream cheese and it tasted fine. I don't like LF cream cheese, it has a wierd taste to me. I figured the small amount of cream cheese wouldn't impact it that much. You could add turkey kielbasa to it, and that would be yummy!
            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Thanks! Hopefully, I can try something soon. Been crazy lately.
              Needs

Comment

Working...
              X