Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Le Creuset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Le Creuset

What do you use yours for? Am I correct in that you can use it on the stove and in the oven?

It's another thing I'd like to register for, but again, so expensive!
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I LOVE it. I've used mine to make baked beans, pulled pork, stews, etc. It's awesome. I could only afford a small one that was on sale (often if you choose less popular colors you can find them on clearance) so I registered for a larger oval one which you can cook whole chickens in. It arrived yesterday and I'm THRILLED!!!
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

My MIL gave us a few pieces that she had duplicates of when we got married. I feel kind of bad, but I really don't use it that much. It is really heavy, and it's harder to clean than my other pots and pans. I would just recommend registering for the Dutch oven, and maybe a skillet. If you like those, you can add on eventually, but you'll have the most commonly used pieces.
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

We love, love, love ours. One of the best gifts we got for the wedding. We do all sorts of stews, chilis, and meats (chicken, pork, beef, etc...) But one thing that many people don't often think of it bread. We do Cook's Illustrated no-knead bread recipe which requires a dutch oven. *Note: because of the high temperatures required to bake bread you must replace the plastic handles with metal ones (L.C. makes them, I think they cost $4 a piece).

We could never part with our L.C. It is the most used pan in the house.
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Two of my favorite, and heaviest, pans are my Lodge cast iron skillet and my LC dutch oven. For a while, Target had a Dutch oven (Tramontina brand?) for around $40. Not sure if that is still the case. Lodge makes a Dutch oven as well but needs to be seasoned (not that big a deal) and I think that cast iron is thicker and heavier than the LC or coated ones. I say register for one -- it will last a lifetime.

Yes, you can use it in the oven or stovetop which makes it great for searing food on the stove and then putting it in the oven. I use it for that, soups, dumplings, stock, beans, poaching, stews, etc. Oh, and as Crystal said, for the CI no-knead bread recipe.

I have this book and use the dutch oven for most recipes I've tried:
          Braising by Molly Stevens
          http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Brai...6308728&sr=8-1

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
            Two of my favorite, and heaviest, pans are my Lodge cast iron skillet and my LC dutch oven. For a while, Target had a Dutch oven (Tramontina brand?) for around $40. Not sure if that is still the case. Lodge makes a Dutch oven as well but needs to be seasoned (not that big a deal) and I think that cast iron is thicker and heavier than the LC or coated ones. I say register for one -- it will last a lifetime.
            I didn't want to shell out the money for Creuset (although I have an aunt that has a bajillion pieces, maybe she would give me one?) so I bought a 3 qt one at Target - it is Lodge and ceramic coated so it did not need to be seasoned. It was $40 or right around that. I think I am going to need a bigger one (6 qts was $65).

Comment

Good to know--thanks!
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I use mine for everything and anything and I have had it for 25 years!!!!
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Love my LC Dutch Oven. It isn't huge. I picked it up at Marshall's on a total impulse buy. I think it was 45 dollars. I've never regretted it even though I wasn't in the market for one at the time!
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I have a few pieces of LC. I use them for everything! I love them! And the bright colors are fun! They are heavy though...
                    Brandi
                    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I have 5 pieces and use them all the time. They do go in the oven a lot. The cast iron is pretty heavy but I think that's true for any brand. I don't wash the pans with soap, just wipe them dry with a papertowel. The pots are enamel covered and are very easy to clean.

Comment

They are wonderful and we use them at least 2-3 times a week. That's what's great about a wedding registry...you don't have to pay for it
                        Danielle
                        Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

I wish I had registered for LC stuff. I registered for Calphalon and I left it all with the Ex. I hated trying to get the non-stick stuff clean.

J.

PS- I made the soup with a non-stick Analon Dutch Oven. Metal handles and it was relatively inexpensive at BB&B when I needed it.

Comment

So, are you supposed to season them? I never really understood what that actually meant...

Comment

NO i did not season mine. The only thing that I have seasoned is my cast iron skillet. And by seasoning it, I did what I had read online. Oil and bake it at high temps, I have to do that a few times till it is seasoned well. But I do love cooking with it. My roasting and casserole dishes from LC did not need seasoning.
                              Brandi
                              Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X