Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Recipe with gravy needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe with gravy needed!

Help! Sam bought me a really nice gravy seperator for my birthday (I asked for it - why, I don't know!) and he's been hassling me because I've never used it. Well, I haven't used it because I don't know how to make gravy and I don't have any recipes that would make a gravy and then have to seperate the fat off of it.

Does anyone have a good (and easy) recipe that uses a gravy seperator? We like all meat except lamb or anything that you can shoot yourself (deer, rabbit, etc).

Thanks!
    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

turkey, baby! Just roast a turkey, baste it w/chicken broth, then suck the juices out of the pan and use those to make your gravy. I don't have a recipe to share b/c I kind of wing it, usually supplementing with a bit more broth, a cornstarch / water mixture for thickening, s & p, maybe a little wine ...

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
      turkey, baby! Just roast a turkey, baste it w/chicken broth, then suck the juices out of the pan and use those to make your gravy. I don't have a recipe to share b/c I kind of wing it, usually supplementing with a bit more broth, a cornstarch / water mixture for thickening, s & p, maybe a little wine ...
      I do the same thing! Sometimes if the turkey (or whatever meat you use) has too much fat, we'll suck out a little grease before making the gravy. We love mushrooms so often we'll saute some mushrooms in the drippings and then thicken using the water/cornstarch paste. If it is a roast we'll toss in a bit of sherry or red wine. Each gravy is different for me, but the secret is to mix the water and cornstarch separately and add really slowly while stirring. Let me know how it goes! (But I should add that I've never used a gravy separator...we just serve the mushroom gravy as is!)
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
        we'll suck out a little grease before making the gravy.
        that's what the gravy separator does. The spout is attached to the cylinder really low so that the fat heads up the spout first. You pour it off, and then you are able to use the drippings w/o as much grease.

Comment

My mom uses hers for soups, too - especially soups that one may add meatballs to I have nothing else for you, though!
          Jen
          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
            that's what the gravy separator does. The spout is attached to the cylinder really low so that the fat heads up the spout first. You pour it off, and then you are able to use the drippings w/o as much grease.
            Oh! Wow, I guess we've always just faked it with the baster! I'm a little jealous now... Thanks! That makes perfect sense.
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Doh! I didn't think about making a turkey! We have a chicken in the freezer - maybe I'll make that next week.

Thanks!
              Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Working...
              X