Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Best Ever Clam Chowder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Ever Clam Chowder

This is seriously good. I've made it twice, and I love it. The tarragon adds something special.

slices thick sliced bacon, diced fine
    1 ½ large onion, diced
    1 ½ c celery, diced
    1 ½ t Old Bay Seasoning, optional
    ½ t ground black pepper
    1 ½ t tarragon
    1 ½ t thyme
    1 ½ t garlic, minced
    2 # sized potatoes, peeled, and cubed into half inch cubes
    33 oz (total) canned chopped sea clams with the juice (around here, that's about 6 cans)
    2 8 oz bottles of Clam Juice
    1 pt heavy cream
    1 pt half and half
    ½ c corn starch mixed with ½ c water
    salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Fry the bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium-high until the bacon starts to crisp, and you see lots of color and brown bits in the pan. At this time, add the onions, celery, garlic, pepper, thyme, tarragon, and Old Bay seasoning, if desired. When the onions are translucent and slightly caramelized, add the clams, juice, and potatoes; adding a little water if needed to cover the potatoes. Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream, half-and-half, and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch/water slurry and bring back to a boil to tighten the chowder. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Yum! Our cold snap has me in the mood for soup!

Jenn

Comment

DH LOVES clam chowder, I'll have to try this.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I love Clam Chowder so I will definitely have to try this

Comment

I made this tonight... oh my goodness! SO GOOD!

Comment

Yum! The temps are plummeting again this week. This might be just what the doctor ordered. I love that it's canned clams too. I hate messing with clams although I love eating them.
            -Ladybug

Comment

Incredible! I made some fresh bread to go with it. I have so much though. Do you think it will freeze with the potatoes? Thanks for posting this, Heidi. It will be a frequent flyer at my house.
              -Ladybug

Comment

Working...
              X