Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

HELP -- salt caramel recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candy, hello, lover. So glad to have a pastry chef on board. Can't wait to use the crap out of you for your skills! Oh, and you can use me for vicarious bitterness and bad attitudes about residency. I have market share. I see that you are awaiting a possible ortho match. Clearly, I need to give my what you need to know about your orthopaedic residency seminar. You are in good company this year. I can't believe how many aspiring orthos and other surgeons we have.

Good luck, and if you ever want to give a tutorial on petit fours, I'm there.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I really want to give ribbon candy a try. It seems like it should relatively easy ... (hahahahahahahhaha!)

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
        I really want to give ribbon candy a try. It seems like it should relatively easy ... (hahahahahahahhaha!)
        Um, yeah, that looks easy to you?? BWAHAHAHAHAHA. It sure as hell looks hard to me!!

Did you see my finished cake? There's a picture on my blog - address in my siggie.

Comment

Originally posted by smama View Post
          Shakti - As you well know understanding the science is the most important part of any cooking - especially baking - so to get to a certain level requires some degree of nerdiness. Looking forward to geeking out together!
          You'll find quite a few of us who have science backgrounds (or are just really interested in food-related science) so please don't hold back on the geeking out! I know I really appreciate it! But then again, I am the girl who wishes she had half of her lab bench equipment available at home for cooking!! (I cannot begin to explain how many times I've reached for a deionized water faucet that doesn't exist while washing dishes...lol)

I am going to love reading about your experiments!!
          Last edited by scrub-jay; 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM.
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
            Um, yeah, that looks easy to you?? BWAHAHAHAHAHA. It sure as hell looks hard to me!!

Did you see my finished cake? There's a picture on my blog - address in my siggie.
            cool! nice work. Satin Ice is easier to work with, isn't it? Is the bow a real bow, or did you make that baby out of fondant/modeling chocolate?

Comment

It's made out of fondant. It was a bugger to get it to stay on there. I shaped it over paper towel rolls and let it dry, then tried to adhere it to the cake using royal icing, but it was pretty heavy and didn't want to stay. Some toothpicks helped with that.

Comment

wow. nice.

Comment

This is why I avoid baking. I love to cook, but I am too ADD to bake, but I would like to try.
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Very impressed with the cake! I took display cake classes while in culinary school but haven't done much with it since.

So DH matched into general surgery - he is disappointed that it isn't Ortho but I am really happy that he matched into the program that he did. It is in a nice area about 30 minutes from where we are now, good home prices, great schools etc. Now I have to figure out if anyone is willing to lend us money to buy a house, find said house and arrange the move. Guess I should take a drive out to the area and get my bearings - oh wait that's right, DH has the car ALL THE TIME. Oh well, at least we are going on vacation tomorrow to visit the IL's and my parents and I am staying an extra week with my family. I'll be back after Easter - happy baking!
                    Pastry Chef. Wife to PGY-1 Gen Surg DD - born 12/13/09.

Comment

Good luck house (and loan) hunting. We got ours right before they quit doing $0 down as often, but we still had to do a lot of searching to find it. Zillow is a fun website for house hunting. Have a great trip!
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                        Ohhhhhh...a pastry chef, a pastry chef!

Did I mention how excited I am to meet you? It looks like you have a new baby too.
                        Um ditto - we are all going to encourage Smama to "geek out" about cooking!

ETA: I guess I should have read this thread a lot earlier to see that we've all told her to geek out to her hearts content.
                        Last edited by HouseofWool; 03-19-2010, 08:03 PM.
                        Kris

Comment

I love love love to bake. But can't make things pretty. I've found that people don't care how pretty your brownies are if there's enough rum in them. Feel free to share any recipes!
                          Veronica
                          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                            I love love love to bake. But can't make things pretty. I've found that people don't care how pretty your brownies are if there's enough rum in them. Feel free to share any recipes!
                            Amen!! I am the same way, sometimes it is pretty, sometimes it really isn't - but everytime it is GONE! So I am happy! I can't wait to learn more trade secrets!
                            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Working...
                            X