Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Chili Recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chili Recipes?

I've been trying to make chili from scratch for the past couple of weeks, and each time it's just not right. I've tried three different recipes I found on the Food Network website, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has any chili recipes of their own they'd be willing to share?

Thanks!

I like this one: It's Chili By George
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Thanks, that looks great. I'll let you know how it turns out after I try it!

Comment

Good luck! I've made it on the stove and in the crock pot, and it's great both ways. The comments have some great suggestions for modifying it to suit how you like your chili.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Here is a recipe from food network for some Chili Bread Bowls, I have made these a few times and we love them.
          http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html.

I subsitute the stewed tomatoes with 2 cans of tomatoe sauce.

Comment

Someone posted a Brett Farve recipe a few years ago and it is really good. I'll look for it and bump it.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I thought I was bumping it up but I made it a sticky. It is really easy and good.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Here's my recipe

2lb burger
                1 large can tomato juice
                1 can chopped tomatoes
                3 cans dark red kidney beans
                3 cans chili beans
                1 envelope of williams chili seasoning (for 4 lbs burger)
                1 large onion
                1 large green bell pepper

Brown burger, drain fat. Add to large pot, chop veggies and add to pot. Add the canned ingredients and chili seasoning to pot. Cook until veggies are tender
                Living the Life of Intern Year...

Comment

DH makes an awesome Tex-Mex chili. But, he starts out with the Wick Fowler 2 Alarm Chili seasoning packet (with ground beef). After that has simmered completely he adds beans. But, the important part is the serving - he puts a big scoop of home-made pico de gallo in the bowl first, then a big scoop of chili followed by sour cream and some cheddar cheese. All of his Mexican relatives love it. (Home-made, authentic Mexican pico - which my Mex-American mil taught me to make is easy: onion, tomato, cilantro, jalepeno, lemon juice, and salt to the proportions you like best).

But, being a Texan and married to a Mexican the Wick Fowler 2 Alarm brand is simply the best chili seasonings in my opinion. And, the natural accompaniments to real, original (ie Tex-Mex) chili are pico de gallo, sour cream, cheddar cheese, Fritos chips, and saltine crackers.

The seasonings included in the Wick Fowler packets (you can pick them up from any major grocery store) are: onion (with a teensy bit of garlic), LOTS of chili powder, spicy red pepper, cumin (you can't have real chili without cumin - very, very important ingredient), paprika, salt, and a bit of masa (flour that thickens up the chili as it cooks). It's absolutely the best way to get an authentic flavor in the fastest time period (and, no, Wick Fowler doesn't pay me to say that ).
                  Last edited by Rapunzel; 02-18-2010, 01:51 PM.
                  Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                  With fingernails that shine like justice
                  And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I also make a pretty decent chili based on a mix/packet. I start with the Bear Creek (Darn Good Chili) mix - but instead of following the instructions to add 7 cups of water and simmer (ho-hum) I add 4 small cans of mexican style diced tomatoes, a splash of water, any leftover salsa or pico from the fridge, chopped onion/peppers that are on their way out and ground beef and spicy sausage cooked separately. I add seasoning to the final product to taste. It is relatively quick and tasty - and it uses up all the produce remains in the fridge. Great for a cold night. I'm hungry now.
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                    X