Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Trader Joe's Raves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trader Joe's Raves

For those with a TJ's nearby, add their Guacamole Hummus in your basket the next time you go in! I bought some last night on a whim for a cinco de mayo themed dinner and it was sooo good! There's a bit of spice in it which makes it really flavorful.

Also, check out their Lemon Pepper Pappadelle Pasta. We made this pasta last week with a lemon, olive oil, white wine sauce and added some of the Trader Joe's Seafood Medely (shirmp, scallops, calamari). Super tasty!

I've been SO disappointed in Trader Joe's. I was told to check it out for vegan food but have had no luck. Most of their "vegan" food contains milk. Its a marketing ploy and I think its dishonest. I did happen to find some true vegan sherbet there. Its yummy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lacy View Post
      I've been SO disappointed in Trader Joe's. I was told to check it out for vegan food but have had no luck. Most of their "vegan" food contains milk. Its a marketing ploy and I think its dishonest. I did happen to find some true vegan sherbet there. Its yummy.
      Seriously? I'm curious what things you've found labeled vegan (not vegetarian) that have dairy in them. Were they things on this list?

http://www.traderjoes.com/pdf/lists/list-vegan.pdf
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I want TJs to bring back their Mango Sauce(jarred like apple sauce) and Punjab spinach simmer sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
          Seriously? I'm curious what things you've found labeled vegan (not vegetarian) that have dairy in them. Were they things on this list?

agreed. If you took any of it back to TJ's (or even called them for that matter) they'll refund your money. They've got the best customer service EVER.

Comment

I've never seen the list before. I kind of thought it was funny. They listed out all the things that are normally vegan. I was looking for things that you can't get at main stream grocery stores. I can get organic juice, fruits, and veggies are the Kroger near by. I was told to go to trader joes for things like soy cheeses, egg replacers, and stick earth balance (you can get regular earth balance at Kroger). They did have soy cheeses but they all contained milk. I kind of think this is misleading to people but luckily, I know how to read an ingrediants list. They didn't have any cool egg replacers (just the stuff I can get at Kroger), and they didn't have the cooking sticks of earth balance. Note: the soy cheeses were not on the vegan list. But Vegan beware, they look like a good option, but they're not.

So, maybe the closest one to me is a small one? Its the only one I've ever been to. I'm guessing that there has to be a bigger/better one somewhere because I still haven't found all these great cooking supplies that I've heard others rave about. For me, I can get everything that they offer at Kroger, which is right near by.

Lacy

Comment

Originally posted by Lacy View Post
              I've never seen the list before. I kind of thought it was funny. They listed out all the things that are normally vegan. I was looking for things that you can't get at main stream grocery stores. I can get organic juice, fruits, and veggies are the Kroger near by. I was told to go to trader joes for things like soy cheeses, egg replacers, and stick earth balance (you can get regular earth balance at Kroger). They did have soy cheeses but they all contained milk. I kind of think this is misleading to people but luckily, I know how to read an ingrediants list. They didn't have any cool egg replacers (just the stuff I can get at Kroger), and they didn't have the cooking sticks of earth balance. Note: the soy cheeses were not on the vegan list. But Vegan beware, they look like a good option, but they're not.

So, maybe the closest one to me is a small one? Its the only one I've ever been to. I'm guessing that there has to be a bigger/better one somewhere because I still haven't found all these great cooking supplies that I've heard others rave about. For me, I can get everything that they offer at Kroger, which is right near by.

Lacy
              OK...so now I'm confused as to how that's a marketing ploy? It sounds like you listened to word of mouth recommendations, and then were disappointed because of things they don't carry, and that things they haven't labeled vegan aren't vegan.
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

OHHHH - TJs.......It is time for me to leave the state and get my TJ fix - this time I am taking 3 coolers. Just the wine aisle is enough to make the road trip. I also noticed that DH is down to one Trader Jose beer.
                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

TJs won't carry the kind of vegan stuff that you're looking for, especially the smaller stores.

Jenn

Comment

I love the salsa, and pasta sauce!!
                    Brandi
                    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Anyone heard anything about stores opening in Texas? I know they are opening some ALDIs in Dallas--that should be a good sign, right?
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

OK...so now I'm confused as to how that's a marketing ploy? It sounds like you listened to word of mouth recommendations, and then were disappointed because of things they don't carry, and that things they haven't labeled vegan aren't vegan.
                        No no, the people telling me to go there wasn't a marketing ploy. I'm talking about the company that is making these "soy cheeses" that contain milk. If you're going to eat milk, you might as well eat regular cheese and not spend so much on special "soy cheese." That's what I think is a marketing ploy. Calling something "soy cheese" when it still containes cow's milk.

Lacy

Comment

I am so glad that DH's residency program has a TJ down the street. I could not imagine not living close to one.

Comment

All I know is that TJs will never open in /Austin or San Antonio (Austin= home of Whole Foods, SA= home of HEB aka the biggest grocer in Texas)

Jenn

Comment

That sucks, Jen. We have TJs and Whole Foods even tho, as you know, the "grocery store" market is only pretty much Safeway and Giant. Did you know they're opening a Wegmens in Germantown!!! *Insert Jumping Up and Down Emoticon*

ANyway, I didn't see the guac hummus, but I tried the jalapeno with cilantro hummus and YUMMY! I also love the Naan they sell. And the kids will eat it.
                              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                              X