Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Marinating Meat Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marinating Meat Question

How long can beef marinate in the fridge for? Last night, DH put beef chuck in a wine-based marinade to use in a stew (yes, a stew in July, he's nuts) tonight. Of course, he gets a last minute admission and asks me to start the meal at 6:15PM. I discover that the idiot has picked the most time-intensive stew recipe on foodnetwork.com and, at the speed I cook (very slow), we wouldn't be eating dinner until 9PM.

So now, what do we do with the beef chuck? I never took it out of the fridge and we would be using it tomorrow night. Since now I know the recipe takes forever, I would be starting to cook much earlier tomorrow evening. Should we take our chances or should we just buy new beef chuck? I'm thinking new beef chuck. Which would also allow for the opportunity to make new marinade. The master chef saw red wine in the ingredient list and bought the alcohol-free version of it in the grocery store.

TIA!
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Marinating Meat Question

I think it should be fine as long as there isn't any citrus in the marinade.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'd cook it tonight and reheat it tomorrow. Beef reheats really well, and then you don't have to worry.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Nope, no citrus in the marinade.

There is talk about perhaps cooking it tonight. Of course, it is 8:30PM here and DH is still doing the H&P for that late admission from home. I'm not holding my breath...

Comment

It should be fine, it will just be VERY tender and juicy (we left marinade over night and our chicken was just fine!)
          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Yum, tender and juicy beef. :nom:

Going to find out around 4:30PM whether or not the meat survived being marinated for almost 48 hours. Wish me luck and hope I don't give us both food poisoning. Because DH would be very upset if he couldn't go to the bachelor party at the Phils game tomorrow.

Comment

Just checking in to say we survived, nobody is ill and DH is attending the baseball game in perfect health.

MarissaNicole was right, the meat was really, really tender. As in, some of the fat had fallen away from a few pieces. It had marinated in alcohol-free red wine, garlic and bay leaves for 48 hours.

I've never seen a recipe that required dredging the beef in flour and then browning it. It made a huge mess on the first batch, so I skipped the dredging on the remaining meat. I will never be on Iron Chef, that's for sure. It took me an hour and 45 min to get this in the oven and then it cooked for 2 hours. We didn't eat until 9:30 PM. But boy was it tasty. And DH did all the clean up, score!

Here's the recipe in case anyone is wondering what I was bitching and moaning about: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html. I didn't use sun-dried tomatoes, I think that's kind of weird in a stew.

Comment

That sounds yummy!!! Glad you both survived. I have a pot roast recipe that calls for browning the outside before putting it in the crock pot.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Glad you were actually able to enjoy it after all that work!
                  Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                    That sounds yummy!!! Glad you both survived. I have a pot roast recipe that calls for browning the outside before putting it in the crock pot.
                    Yeah, I've browned meat before putting it in the crock pot too, but I've never covered it in flour and then browned it. It got all stuck in the bottom of the pot. But maybe that was the point? To have all of those bits to add to the gravy?

Comment

The recipe I use calls for coating it in flour, and using butter in the pan while browning it, so that keeps it from sticking. But you might be right about the gravy. When I make white gravy, I like to use the oil I've fried my meat in so I get the little crumbles. Mmmm, gravy...
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                      X