Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kitchen stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen stuff

I'm lacking a few kitchen items and am looking for some recs.

I need a stick blender, pressure cooker & cast iron pan. I can't spend much & am a bit lost on brands & what to look for.

Suggestions?
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Immersion Blender--the Kitchenaid one has good reviews. We have it, and though I've only used it once, I like it

Lodge makes good, cheap cast iron pans. They have them at Target. I'd also check out TJMaxx--they have high quality kitchen stuff for cheap
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Keep an eye on Amazon. They run good deals sometimes.
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Check yard sales for Cast Iron pans. We got a great one once for $1. My FIL sanded it down for us until it was silver and we re-seasoned it with a bit of oil. Works great!! Seems like ppl are freqeuntly getting rid of cast iron pans. But if you are going to purchase new - Lodge seem to be a good brand, my mother has one that she adores.

Good luck!
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by ides View Post
          I'm lacking a few kitchen items and am looking for some recs.

I need a stick blender, pressure cooker & cast iron pan. I can't spend much & am a bit lost on brands & what to look for.

Suggestions?
          pressure cooker? you're in new york, right? Go to any Indian store -- you'll find a bunch, and they'll have to be somewhat decent b/c they use them all the time.

Comment

Kitchen stuff

Thanks Jenn. I'm dying to make ur kickbutt Indian potatoes & need some spices. Sounds like I can get both together. I have a fantasy of cooking beans & brown rice super fast. I'm sick of buying canned. We eat a ton of beans & they definitely taste better cooked than from a can.

It's funny being in NYC with so many stores & resources however it's freaking impossible to get to many places & actually shop w the little man. NYC is a pita w/kids for sure.
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

If you don't find the spices you are looking for (which I'm sure you will)...this place is great to order from

http://savoryspiceshop.com/
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

My favorite cast iron skillet was purchased at a garage sale 20 years ago!
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by ides View Post
                  It's funny being in NYC with so many stores & resources however it's freaking impossible to get to many places & actually shop w the little man. NYC is a pita w/kids for sure.
                  Take a train to Jersey. You can't swing a dead cat w/o running into 10 different Indian things. We stopped for lunch at a Panera just outside of NY and there were so many Indians I asked dh if he felt like he was back in the mother country.

Comment

I'm pretty happy with the cast iron pan I got at IKEA years ago.

Comment

Kitchen stuff

There is finally a Target in Manhattan in Harlem. O & I went up there the other day & picked up a Lodge cast iron pan. I used it today to make a Dutch Baby. Soo good & I'm stuffed. I'm so proud I even took a pic
                      Attached Files

Comment

and a dutch baby is ????

Comment

Kitchen stuff

It's like mix between a popover & a pancake. Tastes like French toast. I sprinkled powder sugar on it before eating. Really yummy!

When I was a kid my friends mom used to make it for us but I never knew what it was. Thanks to the Internet I've been reunited. I used a recipie off epicurious.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                            and a dutch baby is ????
                            I have an old U+I sugar kid's recipe book that calls them 'popeye pancakes', and calls for a 9x13 pan that just gets baked (no stovetop); you blend eggs, melted butter, flour, milk, and a little salt and vanilla. Stick it in the oven for 20 minutes and it puffs up like crazy. Tastes like a very eggy pancake. Good with syrup and powdered sugar.
                            Sandy
                            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

sounds like a must try! yummy!

Comment

Working...
                              X