Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fish Taco Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Taco Question...

I was wondering if any one had a recommendation on what is the best type of fish to use for fish tacos? I have used tilapia before and it was pretty good, just wondering if there are any better options. Thanks!

I like to use cod, but I beer batter it and deep fry it. It depends on if you are grilling or deep frying. Any white fish you like should be fine. I know a lot of places use cod or mahi.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Grilled halibut or mahi mahi are good.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I used to work at a restaurant "famous" for their fish tacos, and they actually used catfish. Not my fav...but people loved it. Try panko breading
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Oh man, now I am getting hungry! Think I will see what looks the best at Whole Foods but they ALL sound really good, especially the beer batter... Fish tacos are DH's favorite and I wanted to surprise him with something nice today, he's had a rough week and he goes Q2 tomorrow until Tuesday. Ick. Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

What do you all put in the taco besides the fish? Mango? Cilantro? Do you use corn tortillas or flour? I had some wonderful ones in Mexico city a few years ago and sometimes dream of them. I haven't made the leap to making them though. Presently I make fish nuggets with halibut pieces (from tj's) with panko/parm cheese breading then baked. We all like them a lot.
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I went and got some Alaskan cod and used this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fish-Tacos/Detail.aspx.
              They were REALLY good. I didn't fry them, we don't own a fryer and all that grease in an open container freaks me out. So I just marinated them in lime and orange juice and a little pickled jalapeno juice. Then I dusted them with some red chili powder and grilled them on our grill pan. I made some fresh gauc and some calabacitas (squash, onions, black beans and corn sauteed together, yum!) to put in the tacos. The sauce in the above recipe was what really made them though. Overall it was an awesome meal, at least my husband thought so. Then again the man has never met a taco he hasn't inhaled so his opinion may not count for much!

Comment

The PBS series America's Test Kitchen recently did fish tacos. The companion website unfortunately listed the recipe as "premium content" so I didn't bother w/a link. The main thing I recall is they discovered that a chilled vodka & water combo was the best liquid for the optimal batter. Go see if PBS has the show on line!

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam View Post
                  The PBS series America's Test Kitchen recently did fish tacos. The companion website unfortunately listed the recipe as "premium content" so I didn't bother w/a link. The main thing I recall is they discovered that a chilled vodka & water combo was the best liquid for the optimal batter. Go see if PBS has the show on line!
                  Check out iTunes too - ATK has a great podcast too!
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Oops! the vodka batter may have been for the tempura epidsode!

Comment

Working...
                    X