Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Quinoa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quinoa

Anyone have any quinoa recipes they can share?
    Needs

I eat it for breakfast with raisins, cinnamon, and milk. Also, I use it instead of rice in other dishes. Make sure to rinse it prior to cooking. It naturally has a bitter coating that sometimes isn't fully removed during processing.

Comment

LURVE the stuff! You can pretty much add anything to it. My fav, however is

2 cups cooked Qinoa
      1 cup chopped parsley
      1/2 cup chopped scallion (I have used red onion for pretty color )
      2 T chopped mint (always use fresh)
      1 T Basil (fresh is best but I have used dried too)
      1 Garlic Clove minced
      1/2 cup lemon juice (or lime)
      1/4 evoo
      salt and pepper to taste

I have alsod added tomato and once peas.

Did I say I love the stuff?
      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

TJs also has a salad that I have been trying to replicate but don't have it down yet.

It is red quinoa, curry chicken, diced mango, onions, carrots, over baby spinach with a "coconut chili dressing" which I still have not been able to break the code.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I've made it w chopped veggies and cheese in a bake. I think I got the recipe from allrecipes.com
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Print Recipe
            Lentil Quinoa Salad

Recipe courtesy Melissa d'Arabian

Prep Time:15 minInactive Prep Time:--Cook Time:30 minLevel:EasyServes:4 servings
            Ingredients
            • 1/2 cup quinoa
            • 1 1/4 cups water, plus 2 cups
            • 1/2 cup lentils
            • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
            • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
            • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
            • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
            • 1 lime, zested
            • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
            • 2 green onions, chopped
            • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
            Directions

Put the quinoa in a sieve and rinse in cold water. In a large microwave-proof bowl with a cover, add the rinsed quinoa and 1 1/4 cups water. Cover and microwave on high for 9 minutes. Let it sit for 2 minutes then stir. Quinoa should be tender enough to eat, but with a little "pop" upon biting.
            Put the lentils in a sieve and rinse in cold water. In a saucepan, simmer the lentils in 2 cups water until the lentils are tender, but not mushy, about 30 minutes. Drain and cool.
            In a small bowl, whisk the mustard and vinegar together, and drizzle in the oil to make an emulsion. Add the garlic powder, lime zest, and salt, and pepper, to taste.
            To assemble the salad: In a medium salad bowl, mix the quinoa, lentils, green onions, and chopped cilantro. Top the salad with the dressing, toss to coat and serve.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
              1/4 evoo
              Had to google that one - guess I'm not up on my oil acronyms.
              Enabler of DW and 5 kids
              Let's go Mets!

Comment

Or you don't watch enough Rachel Ray. . She annoys me but I usually like her recipes.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                  Or you don't watch enough Rachel Ray. . She annoys me but I usually like her recipes.
                  uhhh....it's worse than that....I don't even know what a Rachel Ray is.
                  But I have heard of jeggings, so that's one point for me.
                  Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                  Let's go Mets!

Comment

This is what I made last night. Easy and fast.

Quinoa & Black Beans

1 cup Quinoa, rinsed well
                    2 cloves garlic crushed
                    1/2 small onion, diced
                    1 tbl oil
                    1 1/2 cup veg broth
                    1/2 cup water
                    2/3 can black beans, drained and rinsed

Heat oil in sauce pan. Saute onion for a few minutes, add garlic and saute another minute or two. Add veg broth and water, stir well. Add quinoa and beans. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer about 15min. When done add salt and pepper to taste. Was yummy and quick. I was going to add some veggies but didn't have anything suitable on hand.
                    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Working...
                    X