Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

German Potato Salad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Potato Salad

Oktoberfest, next weekend: You guys will have to bring the German potato salad (puhlease, no sweat crap in it!) and a baguette.
    Just got this email from a friend. This is the friend whose I wife I was with at the hospital because she had cancer. She was an amazing cook and always made a big to do about Oktoberfest. He is German. So, the pressure is on.

Got any awesome German Potato Salad recipes? BTW, I think he meant to say sweet not sweat. Still, don't know what he means by sweet crap in potato salad.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Bwaahaahaaaa! My mom mixes up sweet/sweat all. the. time.

Comment

I think she means sweet relish. It's put in potato salad a lot. I like it like that, though. I think german potato salad is a different beast. I'm no expert however.
      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

You may want to PM Kris, Alison or Sandy for an "authentic" recipe. I've always been curious if German Potato Salad IS a real German thing, but if it is, they'll be your go-to girls.

Comment

I don't know what it is, sorry. Can you describe it a bit more?
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

We don't eat potato salad, but I've sent an email to my MIL asking if she has a recipe she likes. Will post it here if she sends me one.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Isn't it with bacon and no mayo...if i remember correctly it's a little lighter than the standard southern style.
              Danielle
              Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Here's Bobby Flay's version.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html

And here's an allrecipes.com search sorted by rating. There are three with 4.5 stars and 200ish ratings. I'd start there.
                http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes...ion=Descending

I've never heard of it nor had it so....
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Tenacious_D View Post
                  Isn't it with bacon and no mayo...if i remember correctly it's a little lighter than the standard southern style.
                  That's what I was thinking. I made Cook's Illustrated's "German Potato Salad" recently-- much to the disappointment of my family who heard potato salad and expected mayonnaise. The recipe I used had a mustard and vinegar based sauce, and bacon, and was served warm.

Comment

I'd go with Cook's Illustrated.

Kris - is it something Thomas is familiar with? With Alison's answer, I'm assuming it's not really a German thing (like how curry powder isn't an Indian thing).

Comment

Well, heck then. Why is the dude asking for German potato salad if it is not a German thing.

Kind of gets me off the hook then - ya know? I can just make a yummy one and not worry about authenticity. LOL

Comment

Maybe it's regional? As long as you do the no mayo/no relish version, you're probably on the right track.

Comment

Maybe it's a potato salad that he's never been able to find over here. The potato salads that I've had in Germany are much lighter and I think have a more vinegar-y base for its dressing.

Bacon (the way we know it here) doesn't really exist in Germany. It's "speck," and it's more like Italian bacon, pancetta.
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

In Wisconsin, German Potato Salad is sliced boiled potatos in a vinegar sauce served warm. I can't stand it, but it is really popular regionally. I can try to find a recipe if you still need it, what is the deadline?
                            Kris

Comment

I meant to update sooner. I made it yesterday. As my friend said, "very good but not German." I combined a couple of German PS recipes from Allrecipes.com and as all of you said it had vinegar instead of mayo. Turns out the one his mom made has mayo, boiled eggs, dill relish like stuff....WTH? I said, that sounds like American PS!

Comment

Working...
                              X