Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Chickpeas & Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chickpeas & Me

Does anyone else LOVE chickpeas but HATE the skin? A few years ago I noticed the skin on the peas and it's texture makes me want to gag and vomit. I've tried to ignore it but I can't and I end up not eating them. My solution has been to remove all of the skins before cooking. I just spent 30 minutes dehulling a can of chickpeas to use for dinner later today. I feel like a freak but there is just no other way. Anyone else out there like me? Please tell me I'm not alone :0
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

We eat them a lot. My husband is originally from the middle east and when we boil or heat up a can on the stove, we add a little baking soda to the water. This softens the outer "skin" and then you can rinse them off before adding to a salad. Be careful not to boil them too long or the chick peas them selves will soften and start to breakdown. I saw on a cooking show where they said avoid boiling in salted water it makes the outer membrane tougher.
    Last edited by Momo; 10-20-2010, 05:34 PM.

Comment

We eat a lot of chickpeas (and lentils, beans, etc.) and the skin on the chickpeas has always bugged me. Good info!

Suz - what kind of dishes are your favorite? We have a new Middle Eastern grocery store in town and I'm totally dying to try something, but haven't he foggiest idea where to start.

Comment

What do you do with the chickpeas once you cook them? I'm thinking they would be a good addition to my diet, but have no idea of what to eat them with....

Comment

I LOVE chickpeas... The outer skins don't bother me but I eat them straight out of the can with just a little salt added. My husband thinks it's weird. I also like to season them with salt and pepper and toss in olive oil and then "bake" them until crisp in the oven at about 250 degrees. When done they are the perfect little crispy snack. Yum. I also put them in salads or with chicken, olives and tomatoes. And I make hummus. I am probably a little too in to them to tell you the truth but they are so could for you and they satisfy my "munchie" urges! Yeah chickpeas!

Comment

Other than hummus one of my favorite ways to prepare them is to sauté them with oil & garlic with zucchini or broccoli, add a little veg broth & simmer for a few minutes then add cooked pasta and parm cheese. Really good.
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by ides View Post
              Other than hummus one of my favorite ways to prepare them is to sauté them with oil & garlic with zucchini or broccoli, add a little veg broth & simmer for a few minutes then add cooked pasta and parm cheese. Really good.
              This is exactly how I make zucchini now (minus the chickpeas) so that will be perfect for me to try!! That's definitely on my list for the next time I make zucchini. I think I will also try them baked! Thanks, ladies!

Comment

Hummus! And I spend FOREVER taking the skins off first. It's worth it - tastes a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb7456 View Post
                  Hummus! And I spend FOREVER taking the skins off first. It's worth it - tastes a lot better.
                  Totally. Much smoother.

Comment

Working...
                  X