Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Guest Food Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guest Food Help

My sister, her husband and my two nieces (9 and 2) are staying with us over the Thanksgiving holiday and I wanted to have some sort of dinner on hand for them while they are here. I am not hosting actual Thanksgiving dinner so I don't mind having more food in the house. I usually make a big platter of enchiladas or order a ham for occasions like this but I thought someone else might have a favorite go-to suggestion. Anything that is easy, is good cold or reheats well in the microwave so people can just eat whenever they want. It doesn't have to be kid friendly but that would help. Thanks!

We usually make this sausage bread around this time of year that everyone loves. You buy the 3 pack of frozen bread dough, roll it out and layer it with spinach, mozzarella, and crubled cooked Italian sausage. Then cook per directions on the package. It is awesome for breakfast and reheats well so we just gnosh on it all day. Definitely good for a quick meal
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Soups, maybe? I make a kielbasa soup this time of year that's pretty popular along with some crusty bread or rolls.

Comment

I like to cut up various veggies and keep them in ziplock bags, and I make a HUGE bowl of Hummus.
        Lasagna is always a good thing to have on hand, with salad and bread.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

These all sound awesome. I LOVE ham, and then I have a ham bone to make winter soups with. It's the first time we've had my sister stay with us and I was trying to do something homemade/fancy, which is stupid because she's family and has 2 kids, a husband who works all the time and a dog and totally understands the need for simplicity. I kinda think as long as I have enough wine, cheese and crackers and peanut butter toast for the girls we should be okay. It's just our first "married" holiday and I'm the baby sister so I wanted to demonstrate my "grownupness" which is ridiculous because I will always be the baby in the family, even when I'm 60. I'm an attorney and still the one least likely to be listened to, really my 9 yr-old niece has more clout than I do.

I'm in New Mexico so that's why I was thinking enchiladas, because they are like the state dish, I swear. But I don't really like them. Lasagna sounds awesome too, I like the casserole idea.

One more question.... Any suggestions for stuff to have around for the girls to play with? My sister always brings stuff and they are completely capable of taking care of themselves or hanging out with the adults but I don't want to come across as the "boring" Aunt.

Comment

How about fake Mexican food? I'd have tortillas, Mexican rice, beans, veggies, cooked chicken, salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese. Then they can fix whatever they like.

I don't think they expect you to have anything to entertain the girls. They'll be fine with whatever the mom brings and the TV, although a Wii or something like it might be a bonus for the 9-year-old girl.
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

All the food suggestions sound good!!

As for the girls, stuff for them to color with/on is always good too. Lots of blank paper and/or coloring books. Washable markers and crayons. Can't go wrong with those!!

Comment

Y'all are the best, really. I super-duper appreciate the suggestions, like I said I'm the baby of the family and never really baby-sat, have no friends with kids yet (babies yeah, pre-teens no) and I'm clueless. I just want them to have fun too. The 9 year-old LOVES to read and I think the 2 year-old just likes to be a pain in the butt currently, my Mom said she just hit the terrible twos hard core, says NO to everything. I'm hoping my dogs will provide some source of entertainment for her! I think nail polish is a really good idea, she's into make-up but her mom doesn't let her play with it much (it's not forbidden, just for special events) so I can swoop in and be super Aunt and let her put some polish and lip gloss on. I've lived away from their whole lives so I probably try too hard to get in good with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
                  Ooh coloring stuff! Yes! And Play Doh if you're willing to deal w the cleanup.
                  My kids, 7,6 & 4 would play with playdoh all day! Such a good idea

Comment

I'm good at snacks for 2 year olds!!!!!

Goldfish
                    Gogurts
                    Soft Granola Bars / Gerber Graduates Cereal Bars (WE CALL THESE CRACK FOR TODDLERS!!!!!)
                    Little boxes of raisins
                    Veggies with Ranch Dressing for dipping
                    Frozen Chicken Nuggets
                    Frozen Sweet Potatoe Fries
                    Animal Crackers
                    Gaham Crackers
                    Juice Boxes (Apple & Eve Fruitables: each juice box is a combined serving of fruit & vegetable)
                    Last edited by Meenah; 11-18-2010, 06:22 PM.
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                    X