Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Christmas Dinner Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Dinner Ideas

I've been officially tapped to host Christmas dinner this year. It will me, DH, my mother, her BF, my aunt and uncle, and my two adult cousins who are flying in from LA; a total of 8 people. My mother and aunt usually host dinner and they serve turkey. DH wants to have ham. While I am used to turkey, ham is tasty and I'm willing to give it a try. My aunt is already complaining that it won't be Christmas without a turkey and mashed potatoes. Whatever, they are going to eat what I put in front of them. She can make a turkey and mashed potatoes for her family later if it bothers her that much.

We are going to get a Heavenly Ham, so we won't have to worry about cooking it. But I am at a loss as to what to serve with it? I was planning on making mashed potatoes (not because the aunt wants them, but because potatoes go with ham), mac & cheese, and green beans. But I am kind of stumped as to what else to put with ham in terms of side dishes. Does anyone have any suggestions? There are no food allergies to worry about, but all of the guests (not DH and I) are very plain, unadventurous eaters. TIA!
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Growing up our traditional Christmas dinner (if my mom was hosting) was a fresh ham (not the salty or sugary cured kind), mashed potatoes, broccoli (sautéed w garlic in olive oil), corn, and manicotti. My mom never made turkey for Christmas bc turkey was for Thanksgiving. One year she added ratatouille stuffed peppers. So pretty and yummy....red, yellow and orange peppers.

When I plan a holiday dinner, I'm always thinking about the color on the plate. I like the foods to be pretty together. With your menu, I think you should add a colorful vegetable side.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

any kind of cranberry dish. I like to cook a bag of cranberries with a few apples, sugar, and cinnamon. I just follow the basic directions on the bag of cranberries.
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

sweet potato casserole is a perfect compliment to ham.
        Kris

Comment

How about squash? Acorn squash has a nice color.

My husband's family does Christmas up in a huge way. You'd think Santa was coming to dinner... They usually do a goose. Gahhhh! That's so crazy to me... I still have nightmares about the goose sitting on the dining room table looking so goose-y.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
            sweet potato casserole is a perfect compliment to ham.
            My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm getting ready to buy my non-perishable supplies tomorrow with my regular grocery shopping and I will pick up the perishables on either Wednesday or Thursday morning. I have a couple of questions:

Luanne, is that recipe on a bag of Ocean Spray cranberries I would find in the store?

Does anyone feel like sharing their sweet potato casserole recipe?

And does that green bean casserole made with the soup go with ham?

And particular way to make the broccoli? I like Michele's version, but can I really make enough for 8 people in sautee pan?

Ahhhh, I'm trying not to go crazy!! Way too much to do in too little time!
              Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I'm pretty sure my mom semi-steams it....so I think you could do it in a big pasta pot, lightly sauté the garlic in olive oil, throw in all the broccoli toss to coat it all splash in some water and cover. Sometimes I think she adds a dash of lemon juice too. Stir it a few times and don't over cook....mushy broccoli is gross to me. . I cook it a little different every time. Don't forget to salt it! We usually use Lawry's Garlic Salt.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Yes, the recipe on the Oceanspray bag. I never really follow the directions too closely. The recipe calls for more sugar that I like. I just use the recipe as a guide. I'll see if I can find a couple of recipes and post them.
                  Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

http://www.oceanspray.com/recipes/

I just checked their site and there are alot of recipes.

For sweet potatoes I make them like mashed potatoes, add brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg. I bake them about 30 minutes, and then add mini-marshmellows on top and bake until melted. Not really healthy, I know. I also use canned ones if I don't have alot of time (with all of the buter and sugar, who can tell /who cares if the actual potatoes are fresh!!! I sometiems add chopped pecans or walnuts.
                    Luanne

Comment

I usually make a crumble topping to my sweet potato casserole. Melted butter, flour, brown sugar, chopped pecans and sometimes coconut. It is wonderful - and very dessert like. I will try to find the recipe tomorrow.
                      Kris

Comment

Working...
                      X