Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How do you make pumpkin pie from scratch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you make pumpkin pie from scratch?

does anyone know? We just gutted 4 pumpkins and I'd like to give it a go....

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I use the pumpkin in the can!!!!!
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Pumpkin is one of the few fruits/vegetables that is better canned because the flavor and texture are more consistent. As is the water content, which can affect how a pie turns out.
      That said, I have used fresh pumpkins and have had reasonably good results. Just remember that it has to be a pie pumpkin!!
      From Joy of Cooking:
      To cook pumpkin, wash and cut it in half, crosswise. Remove seeds and strings. Place it in a pan (greased), shell side up, and bake it in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour or more, depending on size, until it is tender and begins to fall apart. Scrape the pulp from the shell and put it through a ricer or strainer.

When I have done this before, I didn't put it through a ricer and just ran it through the food processor -- it wasn't stringy.

Pumpkin also makes delicious muffins, quickbreads, and soup! Yum!

Comment

Just roast the seeds and forget about the pulp for right now.....you have enough going on, woman. 8O

(Anyway, I have no idea! )

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3
          Just roast the seeds and forget about the pulp for right now.....you have enough going on, woman. 8O
          Wait, I agree with Sally! Don't read my previous post!

As far as I know, pumpkin doesn't induce labor -- so skip it!

Comment

I'm with Luanne on this one.... Cans for me!!!

Jennifer
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Kris-

You'd be better off cooking the pumpkins and eating them as you would any other squash and use the canned stuff for the pies. My mom just follows the recipeon the cans, I think.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
              X