Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hard boiled eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard boiled eggs

How do u make them? I saw on pinterest how to make them in the oven, but I am a little nervous about that. Anyone eve tried it before?
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

I put them in a pot with cold water, then start the stove. Once it starts to boil, boil for 10 minutes, then plunge in cold water and peel. I also add salt to the water, but I'm not sure if it matters.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I put eggs in cold water & bring to a boil on low/medium heat. Boil for four minites, turn off heat & let sit few more minutes then drain & set in cold water.
      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
        I put them in a pot with cold water, then start the stove. Once it starts to boil, boil for 10 minutes, then plunge in cold water and peel. I also add salt to the water, but I'm not sure if it matters.
        This is how I do it too

Except the one time I completely forgot about them and ended up with a pot of burnt eggs
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Haha! The one time I attempted to make poached eggs, there was a tornado warning, and I ended up going to a shelter with my neighbors and locking myself out of my apartment - with the burner still on! I'm so lucky I didn't burn our building down!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I put in pot in cold water...wait until it boils...then pop on the pot top, take off the heat and let sit for 12 minutes before putting in cool water before peeling. Always the perfect egg, never any green/gray yolk.

Comment

Except the one time I completely forgot about them and ended up with a pot of burnt eggs
              Done that. They shot across the room.

I use an egg time I got an Williams Sonoma. It goes in with the eggs. I've been boiling 6-8 every week for N and I to eat.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

When making them on the stove, I do like ides... but I actually have an egg cooker that you put the eggs in, fill the water to a specific point, turn on and it screams (loud obnoxious beep) when the eggs are cooked. I love my gadgets. J thinks I am the laziest woman in the world to have an egg cooker. The down side it you can only make 7 eggs at a time, so if you are wanting to do a whole dozen you either have to do two rounds or just make them on the stove.
                -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I had no idea there were so many ways to hard boil eggs. I boil water, add the eggs, boil 10 minutes, then put the eggs in cold water. I remember how shocked I was to learn (from my mom!) that HB eggs don't need to be refrigerated and you can eat them days later. If you put HB eggs in the fridge, then they have to be refrigerated... i.e. you can't refrigerate them for a day and then take them out for 3 days and eat them. But if you never refrigerate them in the first place, they're fine. That was a big revelation for me, because growing up, I was so disgusted by people eating the eggs after Easter egg hunts - 'cause they'd been unrefrigerated for sooooo long! Haha.

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                  Done that. They shot across the room.
                  Really?? I didn't know eggs did that. If you leave them in a pot of boiling water for too long, they shoot out of the pot all by themselves? How long does it take? This could be a fun science experiment to do with the 12-year-old boy I'm soon going to be help homeschool. His mom wants me to do "cooking projects" with him. Hehe.

Comment

A co-worker brought hard boiled eggs to school for lunch last week that she had cooked in the oven, in muffin tins....is that what you saw? They turned out fine, but the shells looked a little "scorched" in places.
                    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Yea the muffin tins. I want to try it. But it looks like it could turn into a messy disaster
                      Brandi
                      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Trust me, if my co-worker can do this, you can. She is 50 years old, has two teenagers, and does not cook AT ALL....her husband does all the cooking at their house.
                        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

No they shot across the room because the water ran out and thu exploded
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Cooking eggs in muffin tins sounds quite difficult. Why would someone want to? Do they taste better that way?

Comment

Working...
                            X