Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Homemade Yogurt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Yogurt

Anyone make it? Have a good recipe? What is usually in it?

My kids LOVE yogurt, they eat it every morning for breakfast and love yogurt drinks as well. There is a yogurt maker on Groupon which as far as I can tell is a good deal but I've never made it before.

How easy is it?
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

My mom makes her own but doesn't use any modern help. In fact, she makes it like she still lives in the rural village she grew up in where the only transportation was a horse or donkey. Ha ha!
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I just boil milk and then add the enzyme. You can actually make it by boiling milk and adding a carton of yogurt if it has live cultures. You can pick up the enzyme crap at just about any health food store.

Comment

I want to try this too. Anyone have any sources/specific instructions?
        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by ides View Post
          I want to try this too. Anyone have any sources/specific instructions?
          According to V-Girl, it starts with buying a donkey...

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
            According to V-Girl, it starts with buying a donkey...
            Well, first you move to a village that has no paved roads.
            Veronica

Comment

I knew there was a reason my donkey was staring at me like I was the jackass! I didn't have him in the right environment to ensure the highest quality, authentic yogurt!

Comment

Recipe for yogurt:

Go to grocery store of choice.
                Buy yogurt.

No way am I making yogurt or cheese or anything like that. Good luck and may you find yummy yogurt recipes that are more helpful than my smart-ass comment find you.
                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

You guys are funny tonight!
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                    You guys are funny tonight!
                    Seriously! I just snorted and startled DD.
                    Jen
                    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Don't forget to take your donkey with you to the store. You need him to carry home the groceries.
                      Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                        Don't forget to take your donkey with you to the store. You need him to carry home the groceries.
                        Jen
                        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Haha you guys are cracking me up!
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Super easy! Pour a gallon ofwhole milk in a large pot. Heat until almost boiling. Move from heatand let it cool off a bit. Stir in a few tablespoons or a small carton of plain yogurt. Put the lid on it. In a corner of your house place a heavy blanket, Carry the pot of yogurt to that spot, set it on the blnket& wrap it up. Leave it alone for 24 hours. You should have a gallons worth of yogurt that is now ready to be chilled& consumed! I've done this a lot... My arab friends taught me.

Comment

Haha! My donkey has run away. But I have tried this yogurt-in-the-crock-pot recipe a few times:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008...-crockpot.html

And I used to use a yogurt-maker, like this:

http://www.target.com/p/euro-cuisine-yogurt-maker-ym80/-/A-10270629?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&L NM=|10270629&CPNG=Appliances&kpid=10270629&ci_gpa= {adtype}&ci_sku=10270629

But I suck at yogurt-making. It has the consistency of Elmer's glue every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X