Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Pantry and refrigerated staples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pantry and refrigerated staples

What are yours? I've done a massive purge of things we don't use and I'm trying to stock items that it's always good to have around.

Mostly, I've got baking staples - because I bake and UNDERSTAND that. Cooking is still a bit of a mystery to me. LOL
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

In my pantry I always keep oats, long grain brown rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, milet, black beans, pinto beans, lentils (green and red).
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Butter, fresh herbs chopped and frozen in 1tbsp of olive oil each, eggs, yeast, San Marzano Tomatoes, bouillon cubes, garlic, onions, shallots, pecorino cheese, rice, pasta, frozen raw chicken breasts, tortillas, honey...along with all your standard baking stuff (flour, sugar, baking soda, etc)

Comment

Stuff we keep on hand:

- dried and canned beans
        - coconut milk
        - quinoa
        - onions
        - potatoes
        - squash
        - carrots
        - leeks
        - bok choy
        - egg whites
        - cheese
        - milk
        - turkey sausage
        - chicken
        - an occasional roast
        - vegetable stock
        - coconut oil
        - olive oil

Comment

butter, olive oil, eggs, milk (usually almond), greek yogurt, shredded cheese, salad dressings (ranch and Italian), lots of dried herbs & seasonings (Italian mix and Mexican mix probably get used the most), salsa, pasta sauce (tomato based), frozen chicken, frozen shrimp, rice, pasta, granola, bread, peanut butter, bean soup mix, veggie soup mix, chicken and/or veggie stock, canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, bananas, frozen berries, vodka
          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I just did a huge restock so this is a bit fresh on my mind. If I am deciding what to cook, I assume I have (and will be stymied if I don't have): Pasta (chunky shapes, long shapes, and orzo), rice, brown rice, usually a boxed rice dish or two, beans, oats (rolled and steel-cut), an "alternative" grain or so, rice noodles. At least a few kinds of dried beans (currently garbanzo, black, and navy) and canned beans (usually black and garbanzo). Coconut milk, chicken broth, canned tomatoes, canned pasta sauce, jarred pasta sauce, GALLONS OF JAM. Bread crumbs, panko, flour, masa. Ramen noodles. Potatoes and onions and garlic. In the fridge: butter, milk, cheddar cheese, lemons, limes, carrots, celery, salad stuff, soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, dijon, whole-grain mustard, parmesan cheese, eggs, green curry paste, peanut butter, deli meat, bouillon base. Usually some all-beef hot dogs. In the spice/condiment cabinet: fish sauce, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, rice wine vinegar, olive oil, safflower oil, basil, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, peppercorns, paprika, cornstarch. (Plus other spices that are more for baking or that I wouldn't assume I had off the top of my head but would check.) In the freezers: Some cuts of chicken, boneless skinless breasts, at least a pound of ground beef, berries, vegetables, salmon filets.

I tend to wait until the last minute before meal planning, but from this I have a huge number of family favorite dishes I can make at short notice.
            Alison

Comment

Crap. I totally missed condiments, spices, and freezer creatures.

I like spices, so we have lots of curry, smoked paprika, smoked salt, chipotle powder, dill, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, etc.

We have an extra freezer that I use for bread for the kids' lunches, frozen berries, frozen chicken/pork roasts/turkey, and copious quantities of veggies.

Comment

Our staples are pretty much expired food that we bought with the best intentions and never ate. We are horrible at being domestic/not wasting food.

I'm totally jealous of everybody's well-stocked pantries! (And the fact that you actually know how to cook the food in your pantry!). Oy. We need help.
                I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Corn poffi - I'm right there with you! Trying to get better.
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Fridge staples:
                    Milk, butter, peanut butter, salad dressing, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, half-n-half, salad mix, ketchup, mustard, yogurt, salsa, pasta sauce, sprouted grain bread

Pantry staples:
                    Pasta, beans, oats, popcorn, raisins, molasses, honey, coconut sugar, cinnamon, basil, curry powder, garlic, nuts, corn chips, dark chocolate, brown rice, olive oil, coconut oil, balsamic vinegar, onions, broth

Comment

Our staples: K-cups, wine, Dr Pepper, Diet Coke, bread, Nutella, peanut butter

I can't cook. We'd starve or go broke if it weren't for the slow cooker, chicken nuggets, and fish sticks.
                      Veronica
                      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Fridge: lettuce, mini cucumbers, broccoli florets, carrots, sandwich thins, tortillas, sliced turkey breast, sliced and shredded cheese (the type changes all the time), Parmesan, Dijon mustard, ketchup, salsa, minced garlic, maple syrup, milk, eggs, butter, sour cream, yogurt, and various leftovers.

Freezer: chicken breasts, pork chops, salmon, tilapia, ravioli, crusty bread, shredded cheese, mixed berries, edamame, and pizza.

Pantry: rice, oatmeal, quinoa, couscous, pasta, dry and canned beans, canned corn, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, canned soups, pasta sauce, canned tuna, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, BBQ sauce, soy sauce, cashews, spices, baking supplies, K cups, peanut butter, jams, jellies, and Nutella.

Not quite in the pantry, but they don't belong elsewhere: onions, potatoes, tomatoes, and apples.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
                        Cristina
                        IM PGY-2

Comment

Black beans, red beans, rice, quinoa, red and reg lentils... I avoid canned except for my fave enchilada sauce. Pasta, spaghetti sauce. Old fashioned oats, cereals, Frenchy's onions, flour, raw honey. Plantains, tomatoes, bananas, potatoes, avocados. Maple syrup, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper, carribean jerk rub, lemon pepper. Bread, croissants. Almonds. Canola and olive oil.

Fridge: Tortillas,queso fresco, mozerella, parm, feta, american, sour cream, eggs, whole milk, whipped cream, kale, onions, mushrooms, lemons, cabbage, lettuce, carrots, poblano peppers, bell peppers, tomatillo sauce, valentina sauce,pace sauce, ketchup, mustard, mayo, plain yogurt, butter. Pancake mix, fish fry breading. Hummus, labneh, olives, parsley, minced garlic.

Freezer: Ice cream, waffles,blue berries, strawberries, mixed berries (for yogurt and soothies) peas, green beans, corn, chicken breasts, ground beef, tilapiasalmon, shrimp (try to buy meats same day to be cooked though), frozen sauces that spoil unless I divide and freeze.

Now let's do "what's in my purse" lol
                          Last edited by AmeliePoulain; 02-02-2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Oh I can't forget my mineral water, coffee, vanilla creamer, and teas!

Comment

I FORGOT TO SAY COFFEE. I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT TO SAY COFFEE. Duh, that's why we always have half-n-half on hand. And I forgot to say TEA!

Comment

Working...
                              X