Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Slow cooker recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DH picked out a recipe he wanted me to try, and so I picked up all the ingredients yesterday at the store. It was a complicated recipe that called for multiple steps, including crushing whole black peppercorns, whole cloves, and a cinnamon stick with a mortar and pestle. Yeah, that worked out well. I gave up and used the ground versions of all of those. Then my chopper for the onion crapped out on me, and so I had to chop them up manually. Which led to awful eye stinging and crying. Then while sautéing the onions, I spilled half the spice mixture and had to start over. I just HATE cooking. I get no pleasure out of it whatsoever.
    Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I will share tomorrow,after the family tries what I am currently making in mine.

Comment

I'm making the crockpot chicken tacos tonight. Chicken breast, taco seasoning, and rotel. Serve with tacos and toppings.

Wife to PGY3
        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I finally tired this mexican chicken that was posted a bajillion years ago. I've made it twice this month already. NO PREP! I've been shredding it, placing it back in the crock pot to absorb more juice and using the shredded mex chicken to build awesome burritos. I use a quick package of mexican rice, black beans, chicken, sourcream and cheese.

Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken:
          Ingredients:
          1.5 – 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or boneless chicken thighs)
          1 (1.5 oz.) pkg taco seasoning mix (Make sure it’s gluten-free. We use McCormick brand – mild for my kids.)
          1 Cup chicken broth or water (Make sure it’s gluten-free. We use Pacific brand.)
          1 Cup salsa or picante sauce
          Directions:
          1. Place chicken in a slow-cooker and sprinkle taco seasoning mix on top of chicken. Then, pour on chicken broth and picante sauce. No need to stir.
          2. Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours.
          3. After 8 hours, the chicken is so tender it usually falls apart with a fork. So, use forks to shred, or pull apart, the chicken. Stir it around and let it stay warm in the slow-cooker while you prepare the rest of dinner.

I also place foil-wrapped baking potatoes in the crock pot. We add the toppings at dinner time (broccoli, ham, sauteed mushrooms/swiss, chicken sausage, etc.) I could live on baked potates though. They delivered one pound, pick-your-topping baked potates in Austin, Texas. I still remember them fondly.
          -Ladybug

Comment

WGW,buy a quality coffee grinder, that you will only use for spices...we have both but the grinder is excellent because you will end up with spice that really works into the food...ie finer consistency , not pieces to distract you while trying to savor your bites.

Comment

Here is an easy one:

Put chicken breasts in the crockpot and put chicken broth and a package of taco seasoning ( though I actually make my own now, just google taco seasoning recipe, because it has no salt/less salt) and let it cook. You can make soft or hard chicken tacos, or taco salad with them.

This is a new one that my boys LOVE:

Slow Cooker Tex/Mex Lasagna

2 pound spicy bulk pork sausage ( though you can certainly substitute ground turkey to make it more healthy)
              2 onions chopped ( my hubby hates onions, so I leave this out)
              4 cloves of garlic chopped ( I just put in a teaspoon of garlic or less as hubby isn't fond of a lot of garlic)
              1 16oz jar of hot sauce
              1 16oz can refried beans
              1 6oz can of tomato paste
              1 tbs chili pwd
              1/2 tsp salt
              1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
              1 8oz package of cream cheese ( I use 1/3 or fat free)
              1 cup sour cream ( once again, I use light)
              2 tbs flour
              2 cups frozen corn
              1 can of chopped green chilis
              12 corn tortillas
              2 cups pepper jack and 1 cup cheddar ( or 3 cups of the mixed that I get at Walmart)

1. In a skillet, cook pork sausage with onions and garlic until sausage is cooked. Drain well. Add salsa, refried beans, tomato paste, chili pwd, salt and cayenne pepper; stir until combined. Remove from heat.

2. In a large bowl beat cream cheese until soft. Gradually add sour cream. Mix in flour. Add corn and drained chilis.

3. Place a layer of the pork mixture in the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Top with four corn tortillas, overlapping slightly. Top withcorn mixture, then some of the cheeses. Repeat layers, endng with cheese.

4. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until casserole is hot and bubbling.

Now that may have been true with my old one, but with my new one I think it cooks faster. I just have to do it on low for 3 hours or so.

Comment

Oh funny.. Both of us posted the chicken one at the same time!

Comment

Ugh, that doesn't sound like fun at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with using preground spices as long as they haven't been sitting in your cupboard going stale for years. I use this method to dice onions: http://www.thekitchn.com/video-how-t...an-onion-48681 and I don't even bother with the horizontal cuts since the onion layers pretty much take care of that. Once you master it, you can dice an onion in about 30 seconds, which cuts down on the tears. Also, make sure you have a super-sharp, good knife for chopping since squishing the onion with a dull blade makes the tears SO much worse. Don't be discouraged! Try a less fussy recipe next time, I promise it gets better. I personally use the same method that LilySayWhat mentioned above for roasts.
                  Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by lonelywife View Post
                    Oh funny.. Both of us posted the chicken one at the same time!
                    Make that 3 of us. Although mine doesnt call for broth!

Wife to PGY3
                    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Auspicious View Post
                      The short answer: good.

I used thighs instead of breasts, added dried sage, added the peas at the last ten minutes, doubled the mushrooms and I wish I'd therefore used a little less broth, and, um, can't find the packet of seasoning they mention so I used half a can of cream of mushroom soup, which I acknowledge is a culinary crime against humanity. Also, I think last time I made it I browned the onions before adding, which was better.

So I guess that's a lot of changes, but I'll make it again.
                      Totally laughed about the soup, because I checked the recipe for it before I asked you about it. I'm looking forward to trying it, thanks.

Comment

Oh that recipe sounds awful, WGW, and I do like to cook! I hope it ended up being yummy, though. I need to do slow cooker meals more often.
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

If you have a gas stove, just turn on the flame and cut the onions close by. A candle works too!
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Thanks for these tips! I had no clue about the flame from the gas stove or candle; I will totally try that next time.

Made ribs in the cooker last night. Followed another long, complicated recipe again, cried from the onions, burned my fingers on the cooker insert, and other tribulations...but the ribs were a-mazing!!
                            Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I literally throw in seasoned ribs with a bit of BBQ sauce and let it do its thing

Also, in the "salad" section of your grocer, they may have pre-sliced onion!
                              Jen
                              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                              X