Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Salad with meal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad with meal

Dh thinks I am strange but we almost always have to have a salad with dinner or lunch. Anyone else do this?

I grew up always having a dinner salad before you ate the main meal. I think dh get board with it, I need to find ways to freshen it up. During the summer we do caprese salad.

Any ideas?
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Nope, but I agree. DH is not on board, really He also doesn't understand why I eat my salad first and then my dinner, whereas he eats his as a side dish!
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Growing up we generally had salad as a side. DH has salad after the main course/before seconds, and that's what I've adopted. We have a BIG tossed salad at almost every dinner (cucumber, lettuce, tomato; sometimes dried fruit, nuts, feta or blue cheese) and many lunches *are* salad with more protein-y toppings (tuna, chickpeas, leftover chicken).

Trader Joe's orange cranberries are the BOMB in a salad. You can also switch up dressings. We often go on an Annie's Goddess dressing kick to alleviate vinaigrette boredom.
      Alison

Comment

We almost always have a salad with dinner, either before or as a side.

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
          Growing up we generally had salad as a side. DH has salad after the main course/before seconds, and that's what I've adopted. We have a BIG tossed salad at almost every dinner (cucumber, lettuce, tomato; sometimes dried fruit, nuts, feta or blue cheese) and many lunches *are* salad with more protein-y toppings (tuna, chickpeas, leftover chicken).

Trader Joe's orange cranberries are the BOMB in a salad. You can also switch up dressings. We often go on an Annie's Goddess dressing kick to alleviate vinaigrette boredom.
          ^this. About half our dinners are a giant salad with a meat protein tossed in. For our side salads we often use fresh berries. SO good. There are tons of different salad recipes out there. Are you open to making your own dressings?

Comment

I need to do this more. I eat less crap when I do. I usually have a salad of lettuce, goat cheese, and cut up fruit as part of lunch
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I make my own dressing too. Nothing fancy, just lemon, garlic, dijon mustard and salt and pepper. The fig vinegar sounds yum!

Comment

Do you have any olive oil stores around? They frequently sell lots of different flavored oils and balsamic vinegars. We have a bunch of really tasty balsamic vinegars that are awesome on salads.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                  Do you have any olive oil stores around? They frequently sell lots of different flavored oils and balsamic vinegars. We have a bunch of really tasty balsamic vinegars that are awesome on salads.
                  We just had one open up...and I was surprised because I didn't think many people would be willing to make the extra stop. Now I have to check it out, and TJ Maxx's selection too. (I avoid their food aisle like the plague; I was getting into trouble when they got good chocolate in...)

Curegirl, are you having fat with your salad? Veggies have a lot of fat soluble vitamins that need to be ingested with fat.

Comment

Do eggs count? I usually put hard boiled eggs in mine. I like nuts and berries too...ok, that just got a little dirty up in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
                      Do eggs count? I usually put hard boiled eggs in mine. I like nuts and berries too...ok, that just got a little dirty up in here.
                      Egg yolks and nuts both contain fats.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned adding avocados to their salads! We always have to have avocado in ours, no matter what kind of salad it is. So yum.
                        Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I forgot about avocado! Didn't like it growing up but starting to like it...

Comment

Yum! You guys are inspiring me... I want to eat salads more often. We usually just do lettuce and dressing, and it's pretty boring.
                            Laurie
                            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

It seems the only inspiration that I got from this was to make a huge bowl of Hawaiian (Ambrosia) Salad last night
                              Jen
                              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                              X