Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cabbage??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabbage??

This is going to sound incredibly weird, but I tried cabbage for the first time last night. Yes, I am that freakily picky eater.

We've decided on doing a salad night each week, and last night started with an Asian salad, for which the primary green is cabbage. I had purchased a head of cabbage the week prior for two reasons: a) I like the smell of cabbage. I really do. I figured I'd try to fix it in a way that was delicious b) I found a recipe for garlic-rubbed roasted cabbage "steaks" (basically just 1/2-in wide slices of cabbage drizzled with EVOO and rubbed with garlic and then roasted). It looked delicious.

Well, we decided on the asian salad and used the cabbage for that instead. The recipe we adapted from said napa cabbage, but I just bought regular, whatever cabbage. I wasn't prepared for it to be so tough and crispy. Is that normal? It didn't particularly taste like much but the texture was very off putting.

Any cabbage substitutes for salads? Is napa cabbage different, texturally? What about bok choy (that's a thing, right?). The chicken marinade, dressing, and other salad components are delicious (also included cilantro which was such a great, fresh flavor), but that cabbage...so dense and crunchy.
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Cabbage - think good, fresh cole slaw. Crunchy for sure. Not lettuce-y in texture (not leaf lettuce). Looks like iceberg, texture is nothing like it I love cabbage in all forms!
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
      Cabbage - think good, fresh cole slaw. Crunchy for sure. Not lettuce-y in texture (not leaf lettuce). Looks like iceberg, texture is nothing like it I love cabbage in all forms!
      I've never had coleslaw, so I wasn't ready for the crunchiness. I knew I liked the smell of the cabbage, but thought it would be, I don't know, leafier? More tender?
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Napa cabbage is more tender and lettuce-like than regular cabbage. Try the same recipe again with napa cabbage. It makes a difference.

Comment

Yes, Napa cabbage is completely different. If you use regular green or red cabbage, you pretty much need to shred it finely. I made it to my 20s without ever tasting cabbage either. But once I got on a health food kick and learned about its healthful properties, I found that a nice young head of green cabbage, shredded and tossed with a nice tart vinaigrette and a bit of translucently thin-shaved onion, is pretty much the most addicting thing ever. It's also pretty amazing in haluski, which is butter and bacon and cabbage and egg noodles cooked together into pretty much one giant pile of incredibly fatty comfort food. OMG. Not health food. But gooooooodd.
          Alison

Comment

I've never intentionally had Napa cabbage, but I'll have to investigate. Bok choy is super yummy, but again very different (think romaine with thicker center). I grew up on cabbage - cole slaw, cabbage rolls, corned beef and cabbage...
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I actually use bok choy instead of cabbage in several recipes. I like the flavor. Texture holds up better for things like soups, too.

Comment

Speaking of Martha Stewart, she had a great red cabbage recipe with apple cider vinegar. I need to go look that up. Love cabbage - all kinds. My fav is to do the Asian slaw (love the rice wine vinegar) under a seared tuna steak, Yumm!
                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Working...
                X