Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

DIY Mozzarella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Mozzarella

Has anyone made their own homemade mozz? If so, is it easy/worth doing? I have heard and read mixed things about the ease of the process, whether or not the process is worth doing, and the outcome.

Success stories/tips? It seems fairly cheap to do.
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Very fun and easy. You do need a good thermometer if memory serves. And milk isn't necessarily cheap (it's hard to find the stuff that is *not* ultra-high-temp pasteurized), you'll get about two baseball sized cheeses from a gallon. But definitely fun and yummy. Look up the Cheese Queen 30 minute mozzarella.
    Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
      Very fun and easy. You do need a good thermometer if memory serves. And milk isn't necessarily cheap (it's hard to find the stuff that is *not* ultra-high-temp pasteurized), you'll get about two baseball sized cheeses from a gallon. But definitely fun and yummy. Look up the Cheese Queen 30 minute mozzarella.
      Good point about the milk. I try to offset it by remember that TJ's fresh mozz is $5-$6 and is only one baseball sized cheese lump...or whatever you'd call it.
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

And fresh mozz is meant to be eaten the same day it's made; plus when you make it yourself you control the quality of the ingredients and the amount of salt, etc. I need to make cheese again soon!
        Alison

Comment

I will agree that storing homemade mozzarella completely changes its texture for the worse. However it is still divine, sliced and put on pizza.
          Kris

Comment

HoW - I didn't now it changed the texture that much. How do you store it? If you keep it longer than one day it sounds like the way to eat it is melted on something, is that right?

sigpic

Comment

Instead of being soft and white, it is more like the mozzarella that you buy in the store, slightly yellowed and firmer. It still tastes okay, but fresh is much better for eating straight.
              Kris

Comment

If you store it in brine, most of it stays soft and fresh-tasting but the outside is slightly slimy.

OMG I have a hankering for caprese right now.
                Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post

OMG I have a hankering for caprese right now.
                  I know, right??

sigpic

Comment

I am going to try making feta soon.
                    Kris

Comment

The best mozzarella I have ever had was the one a friend (cheers maker) made with half goat and half cow milk. Supposedly, you cannot make mozzarella with just goat milk.
                      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Working...
                      X