Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fruit Skewers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit Skewers

I'm not a huge fruit person and don't know if these flavor combos would be good together. Wanting to serve some type of easy to grab fruit skewer and I'm seeing watermelon, feta, and mint leaf skewers all over the place.

Is that a good combo? It seems like it would be very summery and fresh tasting, but I've never had it - I hate feta and watermelon is just "okay". I also hate mint so I'm not going to try on my own!
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

If you serve something you find gross, chances are it won't turn out tasty to anyone else either!

I have learned to love feta, but I can't imagine how it would skewer, since most of it is dry and crumbly. And while I love the contrast of a tangy/salty feta with sweet flavors, A) you have to get the right feta (they aren't all tangy and some are WHOA salty) and B) watermelon feels like too much sweet in that mix. Maybe cantaloupe? Maybe tossed with a light dressing instead of skewered? That way you could shred the mint instead of having your guests chewing on leaves with their fruit.
    Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
      If you serve something you find gross, chances are it won't turn out tasty to anyone else either!
      I'm not a great way to gauge what's gross or not. 75% of what I cook/serve to people or even just DH are things I find "gross". I'm a very picky eater, so that's why I sometimes have trouble determining whether or not some flavor combos would be good or not.

I'm also seeing variations with watermelon, basil, and goat cheese. I don't eat feta or goat cheese, so I really have no idea!
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Fruit Skewers

I would do a fruit stick thing with just yummy stuff- strawberries, kiwi and pineapple. Could add some apple chunks too. I don't see why you would need cheese in there. You could also have a fruit sauce/ dip for it to dip in or drizzle over. I would eat them just as though.
        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Or, grilled pineapple is delish! Peel a whole pineapple and slice, leaving the core intact.
          Kris

Comment

Yes to both ides and HoW's suggestions
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Grilled pineapple is pure heaven!
              I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I know you want to impress, but I personally find simple flavors done really well from fresh ingredients to be much more impressive than complicated cuisine done half-heartedly.

When is the bbq planned? Sounds like you are currently in the thick of berry season and just starting to come on for your summer melons/squashes/tomatoes?
                Alison

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'll just keep it simple and do a medley of berries and/or melon. I just want something easy to grab off a platter, and wanted to avoid a messy fruit mixture/salsa. I also want to avoid the grill - even though grilled pineapple or peaches sound great - just because we've got our grilled space allotted for multiple smoking pork butts and corn!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X