Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How far in advance can I make whipped cream?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far in advance can I make whipped cream?

I'm seeing mixed information on the web. Some people say it will keep for a couple days before getting watery and flaccid (for lack of a better descriptor). Other reviews say only make it a couple hours ahead of time, if not immediately before serving. I'm doing an amaretto whipped cream and don't know if the added liqueur makes a difference. Your experiences?
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

For real whipped cream, without stabilizers, you cannot make it ahead. It will deflate.
    Kris

Comment

It's super quick to make though. We never made it ahead.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

What are you using it for?

And LOL at "flaccid"
        -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Since it only takes a minute I never make it ahead, but I do keep the leftovers in the fridge and it usually takes a couple days before it starts getting watery.
          Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Originally posted by civilspouse View Post
            Since it only takes a minute I never make it ahead, but I do keep the leftovers in the fridge and it usually takes a couple days before it starts getting watery.
            Yes to this. It doe snot look the same (texture changes a bit) but it still "holds" somewhat and is still tasty. If you have leftovers, I would save it BUT if you are trying to make it ahead for a dessert, I would not. It will not be as nice...you might as well use the stuff out of can/tub.
            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Per the Joy of Cooking, you can underwhip it by just a little, then store it in the fridge for a few hours and whisk it briefly by hand right before serving. For the best stability make sure your cream has the highest fat (36 percent ideally). Or you can add unflaored gelatin to give it a firmer texture and make it capable of holding for a day or so.

I always just make it fresh at dessert time. It's kind of a fun social thing for everyone to gather and watch the cream whip, LOL.
              Alison

Comment

Thanks everyone! You're all right that it doesn't take very long at all. I'm kind of anal around party time so I will do literally everything I can possibly do in advance so I don't have to touch anything once guests get here! The make in advance whipped cream was tempting, but I'm just going to wait until dessert is served. It's just to go on top of the chocolate pie so I'd rather it be freshly made!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X