Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Counting calories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counting calories

I'm a bit (ok, a lot) overwhelmed by cooking food at home AND providing calorie info for DH. I know there are tons of hidden calories in things (hidden in that I'm surprised by how high cal something is). I need about 5-10 things that I can whip-up with 2 under 2 hanging around. I haven't cooked dinner since DD2 was born, save the occasional sandwich or frozen pizza. For super-crazy days, we have frozen PF Chang's, Jimmy Johns, etc.

So, how do you cook at home and get an accurate calorie count?

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

I use my fitness pal to calculate out the recipe… The nice thing is is there's a barcode scanner in the recipe calculator, so you can scan the barcodes on all of the raw ingredients you are using or you can type in the name to search for a product.

Or if you cook recipes from myrecipe.com, they have the nutrition facts for all cooking light and sunset recipes. Not all of them are accurate but most of them are within the ballpark.

Comment

I do pretty much the same thing with the LoseIt app. I scan the barcodes of everything I put in, then adjust the portion sizes based on how much ate. (So an individual recipe might end up having 5 to 10 calorie entries, depending on the number of ingredients.) It's kind of a pain, but it works.

Comment

Me too. I use the recipes function on LoseIt. And then, I make the same things over and over. Lol
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

A lot of recipes from blogs and other websites will calculate it out for you too. Like Skinnytaste.com I think allrecipes.com provides calorie counts too
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'll have to check out some of those sites, ST! I never actually thought to input all the ingredients individually through LoseIt. Thanks!

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
            X