Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Substitutions/doing without for dietary restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substitutions/doing without for dietary restrictions

Just curious, do you or any of your family members have dietary restrictions that you have to accommodate when you cook? I've just discovered I'm lactose intolerant and have been learning to cook with dairy substitutions or leave it out altogether. I'd love to hear your experiences with similar situations.
    Wife of a PGY-1 podiatric surgery resident, mom to two cat babies with a human one on the way!

Our oldest kiddo is vegetarian so I make dishes that she can easily pick out any meat. I avoid gluten because it gives me an upset stomach -- no dx'd sensitivity or allergy, though.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyFoot View Post
      Just curious, do you or any of your family members have dietary restrictions that you have to accommodate when you cook? I've just discovered I'm lactose intolerant and have been learning to cook with dairy substitutions or leave it out altogether. I'd love to hear your experiences with similar situations.
      We've both been veggie at times in our lives and I've had a long time love affair with nutritional yeast. Once you start forgetting the taste of cheese I highly recommend seeking it out (best purchased in the bulk section at places like Whole Foods). You can make it into a cheese like substance to be used on vegan pizza or to make vegan mac. It's like making the switch from dairy to soymilk, though. has a very nutty flavor but is very very good for you. Tons of B vitamins, low calorie, lots of protein. Can also be used to thicken soups, stir fries, etc.

Comment

Good to know, thanks for the tip! I'm finding that there are a lot of "substitutes" that are really good if you don't come in expecting them to taste exactly like real dairy (soy milk, almond ice cream, etc). If I approach them like a new food instead of trying to be exactly the same as dairy, I almost always enjoy them!
        Wife of a PGY-1 podiatric surgery resident, mom to two cat babies with a human one on the way!

Comment

Yes, exactly. I'm allergic to coconut now but coconut ice cream is AMAZING. The only good substitutions I haven't been able to find are for yogurt but maybe even that has changed.

Nutella's lactose free, right?

Comment

I'm allergic to casein. I don't have any good substitutions, though. I just don't eat anything that's dairy. Strangely, I've never liked dairy. I guess now I know why!

I've found that as I've gotten older this allergy has gotten more severe. If I accidentally get dairy on board from something, like bread crumbs with Parmesan, my lips split and bleed and I get mouth sores. Lovely. That turns you off milk and cheese entirely.

I'm interested in any non dairy sites you do find, though. I need new recipes!
            Last edited by Sheherezade; 12-30-2013, 07:45 AM.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post

I've found that as I've gotten older this allergy has gotten more severe. If I accidentally get dairy on board from something, like bread crumbs with Parmesan, my lips split and bleed and I get mouth sores. Lovely. That turns you off milk and cheese entirely.
              Ouch! That would turn me off too!

I've mostly been searching Pinterest for vegan recipes and then adding meat if I want to. Although I've ended up just eating a lot of vegan meals, which is fine with me! It's been a good excuse to learn to cook healthier.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                God, I am so glad that I have no allergies.
                +1
                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

its not an allergy, but since I cook kosher style, I can't have dairy in any meal I serve with meat. I have been wanting to try and make chicken tikka masala with non dairy substitutes and have pinned a few recipes but haven't dared to do it yet. I'm always having to shift recipes to leave out dairy but I have not really gotten good at the substitutes yet. Its been easiest to just make things vegetarian.
                  -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                  Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                  Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Anaphylactic food allergies to dairy, egg, sunflower seeds (oil) and peanuts in our household. I can modify most recipes and we home cook everything, always. Best milk ingredient substitutes: Tofutti cream cheese, Tofutti sour cream, Daiya dairy-free cheese. (For those with dairy allergies: Watch out for "soy cheese" on the shelves, many of them have casein in the ingredients)
                    Last edited by scrub-jay; 12-30-2013, 11:26 AM.
                    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                      Yes, exactly. I'm allergic to coconut now but coconut ice cream is AMAZING. The only good substitutions I haven't been able to find are for yogurt but maybe even that has changed.

Nutella's lactose free, right?
                      Nutella is defintely NOT lactose free, it contains milk. From http://www.nutellausa.com/ingredients.htm: "INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, PALM OIL, HAZELNUTS, COCOA, SKIM MILK, REDUCED MINERALS WHEY (MILK), LECITHIN AS EMULSIFIER (SOY), VANILLIN: AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR"

However, Justin's makes a Chocolate Hazelnut Butter that doesn't contain milk.

Best non-dairy yogurt is WholeSoy and they should be back on shelves any day now (http://www.wholesoyco.com)
                      Last edited by scrub-jay; 12-30-2013, 11:23 AM.
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I was just going to mention that there are soy yogurts, but be careful with the amount of sugar. Soy yogurt has a ridiculous amount or sugar.

Comment

We are running on the theory that DS is lactose intolerant (he vomits within 12 hours of drinking chocolate milk at the school cafeteria, like clockwork, and has intermittent issues at the other end for a week following) but so far he is fine with cultured dairy including yogurt and cheese. Thank goodness!

In the past when I've limited certain food groups in my diet, I've found it easiest to change up the menu instead of the disappointment of flubbing old favorite recipes. To avoid dairy, maybe branch out into Asian cuisines?
                          Alison

Comment

Originally posted by LadyFoot View Post
                            FYI, do some research about the amount of lactose in various dairy products. Not an expert but I know I've read that hard cheeses like parmesan or aged gouda don't have any lactose left after the aging process. And have you ever tried lactase supplements like Lactaid? Just some ideas that might help you not have to cut out dairy entirely.
                            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I have found that hard cheeses don't affect me as much, so I'll do things like making/ordering pizza without cheese and then sprinkling Parmesan on top. Also, goat cheese doesn't bother me, so different varieties make a pretty good substitute for cream cheese and feta.

Lactaid is wonderful. I still usually end up with a stomach ache, but nothing worse. Sometimes ice cream is just worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X