Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Thinking about Paleo -- anyone do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about Paleo -- anyone do it?

We're thinking about doing Paleo -- for a variety of reasons. Anyone do it? Any tips/tricks/advice/favorite recipes for a newbie?

TIA-

You've decided on a diet of dinosaur meat?

Comment

My husband and I have done paleo for about a year. Have you read Robb Wolff's book yet?
      Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

GWM - It's a diet choice - no sugar, no wheat, no dairy, no beans. It's meat, vegetables, a little fruit and a little nuts.
        Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by samssugarmomma View Post
          GWM - It's a diet choice - no sugar, no wheat, no dairy, no beans. It's meat, vegetables, a little fruit and a little nuts.
          Ah. I don't diet, but that plan sounds like a good way to reduce the feeling of being "bloated". I cut way, way back on breads for that reason, and it really helped a great deal--less constipation and generally feeling better. And tons of veggies has to be a good thing. For anyone!

Glad to hear this does not invoke a Jurassic Park scenario.

Comment

We recommend the book "it starts with food" at our office. People really seem to like it.
            Brandi
            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
              We recommend the book "it starts with food" at our office. People really seem to like it.
              LOVE that book.

Comment

Nope. But I am now on the wait list for it at the library. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                  Ah. I don't diet, but that plan sounds like a good way to reduce the feeling of being "bloated". I cut way, way back on breads for that reason, and it really helped a great deal--less constipation and generally feeling better. And tons of veggies has to be a good thing. For anyone!

Glad to hear this does not invoke a Jurassic Park scenario.
                  Yes, the tons of veggies thing sounds great. I don't know if I can give up wheat totally, but thought I might give it a try...

Comment

It's so much easier to give up wheat once you see how you feel without it. Seriously.

And yes, ditching wheat does help with a reduced feeling of bloating. The week that I gave it up, I lost 12 lbs. That's how swollen I was from wheat and added sugars. Crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Cleave View Post
                      Nope. But I am now on the wait list for it at the library. Thanks for the suggestion.
                      This was meant to refer to the Wolff book. Still getting the hang of this forum...

Comment

Originally posted by samssugarmomma View Post
                        It's so much easier to give up wheat once you see how you feel without it. Seriously.

And yes, ditching wheat does help with a reduced feeling of bloating. The week that I gave it up, I lost 12 lbs. That's how swollen I was from wheat and added sugars. Crazy!
                        12 lbs??? Did most of it stay off?
                        I love wheat (hello, bread) and love sugar -- I eat a bit of chocolate nearly every day. But I am pre-arthirtic and am interested in reducing any possible sources of inflammation. I love veg, will miss beans, and am not excited about eating more meat (Paleo does like meat and I generally don't eat much), so I am not sold on this diet but figure it's worth a try. And if I feel much better -- hurrah! I imagine I'll keep it up. And if I lose 12 freaking lbs (or 4 or 6 or whatever), so much the better.

Comment

Yes - 12! My trainer said it was inflammation - and I'd agree since I didn't see that big of a loss in my clothes. And yes, it has stayed off. When I cave and have a coke (my weakness), its amazing how swollen and different I feel. I still have a long way to go to be healthy (about 68 lbs). We switched to paleo last February and I haven't been as strict as I should be (still the occasional coke and I eat more fruit and nuts than I probably should to lose weight) but I feel so much better.

Keep reading - wheat and sugar are huge sources of inflammation.

For chocolate - is there are Trader Joes near you? We get some mints from there that are technically paleo that have chocolate liquor in them. There are only three ingredients - honey, mint, and chocolate liquor. There is also a brand of ice cream called So Delicious that makes diary free and soy free ice cream (they use Coconut Milk). Their chocolate ice cream is great - but I like the german chocolate better. You can also get diary free/soy free chocolate chips. The brand is called Enjoy Life. I can get the So Delicious and Enjoy Life stuff at Kroger and at Walmart. Hopefully you can find them near you so you can satisfy those cravings!

There are also a ton of great websites out there. I like Elana's Pantry for baking and PaleOMG for main dishes. I'll have to check my Pinterest board to see where else I get recipes from.

Also, if there is a long wait for the Robb's book, let me know and I can loan you mine.

Have you started sleeping in a pitch black room yet? I was skeptical, but man, I sleep so good now.

Urgh, my kids won't go to bed…..

Comment

We do kind of a modified paleo, meaning we've really just minimized the amount of crap we consume. With a vegetarian in the house, I'm not eliminating beans. And there's no fucking way coffee or chocolate is going away.

I found that I feel best limiting my wheat and dairy. I don't have any sensitivities or allergies to either, I just feel better when I limit how much I consume.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                              We do kind of a modified paleo, meaning we've really just minimized the amount of crap we consume. With a vegetarian in the house, I'm not eliminating beans. And there's no fucking way coffee or chocolate is going away.

I found that I feel best limiting my wheat and dairy. I don't have any sensitivities or allergies to either, I just feel better when I limit how much I consume.
                              I'm interested in that -- feeling good. I have a feeling that your version of paleo is where I will end up. I might try strict paleo to jump start, then relax it a bit. Low sugar, low simple carb and more veg always seems like a good idea. And no chocolate ever seems like a bad idea. Really, more than anything, I need to kick the diet coke habit.

Comment

Working...
                              X