Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Foods high in iron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foods high in iron?

I gave up meat for Lent. Today has been a hard day for being a girl. DH just had me eat a bowl of spinach leaves. Not kidding. Any other ideas? I can do seafood but no mammals or birds. I truly hate iron pills. I don't think I have any anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

When DS was struggling with iron issues, his ped suggested cereal. A well fortified cereal has way more iron than many veggies, just read the labels, as they vary greatly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I'll ask mom to make lentils. Are the eggs best boiled or does it matter?

Veronica

Comment

Another friend just asked the same thing. Someone suggested oysters. I can recommend the slowfe brand of pills. They're buffered, and have never caused me upset stomach like other brands. I take one almost every day to keep my levels up.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
          When DS was struggling with iron issues, his ped suggested cereal. A well fortified cereal has way more iron than many veggies, just read the labels, as they vary greatly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I'll check our cereals.

Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
            Spinach! Do you ever make smoothies w/ spinach? That's a good way to a get a lot of spinach. Throw some citrus (for the Vit C) in to aid with iron absorption but leave out dairy -- it inhibits iron absorption.

Beans, lentils, raisins, eggs (the yolk)
            If you take calcium supplements, avoid taking them at the same time as iron pills or iron rich foods.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Cream of Wheat. Sounds crazy but it actually has more iron per serving than beef.

Comment

Originally posted by Bittersweet View Post
                Cream of Wheat. Sounds crazy but it actually has more iron per serving than beef.
                I'll have to remember that. This is usually the one time of the month that I eat burgers, but beef makes me nauseous. But I love burgers. I may eat one Easter Sunday on the way home from Mass.

Veronica

Comment

Poky's point about calcium is a good reminder too. Watch your calcium intake, in general.

-Deb
                  Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Go get a burger to help get you on track, the Lenten sacrifice should not cause harm.

Feel better

Oh, and chocolate Malt-o-Meal is super yummy and high in iron
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post

Oh, and chocolate Malt-o-Meal is super yummy and high in iron
                      That sounds so good right now. I'm going to work in my friend's store for a few hours this morning (need any Catholic books, rosaries, etc.?) and then I'll go by the store for some Malt-o-Meal and cereal.

Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                        That sounds so good right now. I'm going to work in my friend's store for a few hours this morning (need any Catholic books, rosaries, etc.?) and then I'll go by the store for some Malt-o-Meal and cereal.

Note: I add sugar to my chocolate Malt-o-Meal

It will be breakfast for lunch and dinner for you! I hope you feel better, awful to be low on iron.
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                        X