Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Vino!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vino!

So, I'm having a little wine party on Saturday afternoon (yay, day-drinking!). By little, I mean there will be about 6 of us. Basically, the gist of the party is everyone brings 2 bottles of their favorite wine - one to share and one to swap. I have Heidi and my favorite Moscato as my wine I would also like to pick up a red, but I can't find my wine list, and prior to this year, I hadn't had a drink since 2010, so I don't even remember what wines I liked.

Suggestions for favorite red around $10?? We have not TJ or Whole Foods (WFs was my go-to for wines in Chicago) or chain liquor stores (Binny's, Sam's Wine). We do have Costco and Target and a couple regular liquor stores.
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Menage a Trois is always a good one. Or for something a little different, I like Trapiche Malbec.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Mark West Pinot Noir is pretty decent and inexpensive. I've never seen it over $10/bottle.

Comment

Oh, you can sometimes find 7 Deadly Zins for around $10, too.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
          Oh, you can sometimes find 7 Deadly Zins for around $10, too.
          I like this one too.

Also at Costco - Erath Pino (I think like 11 at costco) and Oliver Hill's Red Silk (Shiraz).

Some times Costco has this Michael David Petite Petit (http://www.michaeldavidwinery.com/wines/petite-petit/). I really like it.

Meiomi by Belle Glos is also occasionally there. I like it, it's a very hearty pino noir.

Wild Horse and La Crema are also usually at costco and are priced pretty well.

Also, download the vivino app (it's free) and you can take pics of the labels and read reviews in the store.

Comment

Once again, glad I asked here!
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I don't understand drinking anything other than Moscato. Glad you got help.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
                I like this one too.

Also at Costco - Erath Pino (I think like 11 at costco) and Oliver Hill's Red Silk (Shiraz).

Some times Costco has this Michael David Petite Petit (http://www.michaeldavidwinery.com/wines/petite-petit/). I really like it.

Meiomi by Belle Glos is also occasionally there. I like it, it's a very hearty pino noir.

Wild Horse and La Crema are also usually at costco and are priced pretty well.

Also, download the vivino app (it's free) and you can take pics of the labels and read reviews in the store.
                Agreed with all of this. Erath is a solid choice, too.

Comment

We had the Cubo Tempranillo last night and it's good! Also have been a big fan of Zinfandel's recently. Way more floral than the tempranillo, it's a nice change though not something I'd want to drink all the time.

Comment

If the weather is very warm, you might skip the Zin, even though it's great. I love Zin but when the temp rises above about 75 degrees it just tastes like drinking jam to me. Even the good stuff. Second the Mark West Pinot Noir, another pinot or something like a temperanillo. If you go pinot, don't get one of the cheapest ($5-$6) bottles, go at least for the Mark West. Cheap pinot tastes like dirty feet.
                    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                      If the weather is very warm, you might skip the Zin, even though it's great. I love Zin but when the temp rises above about 75 degrees it just tastes like drinking jam to me. Even the good stuff. Second the Mark West Pinot Noir, another pinot or something like a temperanillo. If you go pinot, don't get one of the cheapest ($5-$6) bottles, go at least for the Mark West. Cheap pinot tastes like dirty feet.
                      haha gf it hasn't been over 75 here more than once since October.

Comment

I'm not a fan of super sweet wines, but during warm weather, I really like the pink Gewürztraminer made by our local winery. It had a great balance of acidity and sweetness, so it isn't too much of either.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                          Mark West Pinot Noir is pretty decent and inexpensive. I've never seen it over $10/bottle.
                          Thiiiiiis!!! Also what got me and DH Together

It's delish!
                          sigpic
                          buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

I vote Malbec...but no rec on a specific bottle
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

What did you end up getting? How did it go?

Comment

Working...
                              X