Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Greens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greens

Greens
    Do you eat them? Which kinds? Do you have a favorite? How do you prepare them?

I've sauteed spinach with garlic and mushrooms. I also like spinach cooked in things like quiche and lasagna. I've been hesitant to try other types until tonight. I trimmed the beet leaves off my beet plants growing in the garden and sauteed them with garlic and mushrooms. I flavored them with a little salt/pepper. SO GOOD! Dh was impressed too.
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Wow, that sounds awesome! When I was a kid my parents used to make cream of spinach. I loved it soooo much but haven't done it as an adult because...creaming a green? A little beside the point. I usually eat greens fresh though I recently made a REALLY great sweet pea and fennel soup. It had a whole head of lettuce in it!

Comment

Greens

Great as tacos but sometimes I just make the chard and eat it plain, with cheese or mixed in drained ramen noodles!

Swiss Chard and Caramelized Onion Tacos

from Mexican Everyday, by Rick Bayless

Serves 4

12 oz. bunch of Swiss chard, thick lower stems removed (10 oz. cleaned spinach can be used instead)

1 1/2 tbl. oil, lard or bacon drippings

1 large onion, thinly sliced

3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

1 tsp. red pepper flakes (add more or less depending on how spicy you like it)

1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth (water works too)

Salt

12 warm corn tortillas

1 cup (4 ounces) Queso Fresco or other fresh cheese such as feta or goat cheese

Smoky Chipotle Salsa for serving

Slice the chard into 1/2-inch ribbons. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion then cook until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. To the onions add the red pepper flakes and garlic. Stir for about 20 seconds until you are hit with the aroma of the garlic then immediately add the broth or water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the greens. Adjust the heat to medium-low then cover the skillet. Cook until the greens are almost tender. For Swiss chard this will be about 5 minutes. Spinach only takes about 2 minutes.

Uncover the pan, adjust the heat to medium-high then cook until the juices have reduced significantly and merely glaze the greens. Taste and add salt if you think it needs it.

Serve with the corn tortillas, crumbled fresh cheese and Chipotle salsa.

Comment

Working...
      X