Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Small nutritious snacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small nutritious snacks

Pregnancy is killing my digestion. It's so slow that when I eat anything resembling a normal meal or even a full-size snack, I get uncomfortably full for several hours and sometimes can't even eat my next meal. For the last couple days I attempted to eat a normal lunch and then felt so sick for the rest of the afternoon that I could barely function, much less eat. I'm usually a slow eater and not one to eat huge amounts in a sitting anyway, so this is surprising me.

My midwife commented yesterday that I hadn't gained "enough" weight for how far along I am, but that it's probably no big deal if my morning sickness is gone and I'm eating normally now. I definitely did eat less than normal during the first trimester just because of food aversions. Now, I'm happy to eat most any food, but I can't fit it in my stomach. I know if I continue on the pattern of the last couple days, I'm not getting enough calories or nutrition for myself, much less the extra 200 or so for BabyBaskets. I'm tall and moderately active, so my non-pregnant calorie allowance is at least 1,600. I doubt I met that with my eating patterns for the last couple days.

I need some healthy but not bulky snacks/meals. I love to snack on carrots and apples, but there's too much fiber and I am only going to get about 100 calories in and be done for half the day. I switched to 2% greek yogurt for the mornings, and if I remember to eat that as soon as I get up I can probably even fit in another snack before "lunch". I have some GF hot buckwheat cereal, if it ever cools down here. I have some bars that are heavy on the coconut and flax seed, and I have a bunch of string cheese in the fridge. I have small sweet potatoes I can bake for dinner. Any other ideas for me? I feel like I need to fit in plenty of protein and a bit of fat, along with just enough fiber to keep things moving. I would love your recommendations!
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Could you add in some meal replacement drinks, like Carnation instant breakfast or Ensure? Maybe as liquid, it won't feel like as much in your stomach?
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I did lots of nuts, olives, berries, protein bars (may be too filling for you), cheese, hard boiled egg...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I still think pregnancy when I smell carrot cake flavored Clif bars. I could only eat a half at a time but they were easy to eat at my desk when I was working.
        Alison

Comment

Peanut butter!

Comment

Hummus with snap peas/carrots/pita chips, bananas, Naked juice, peanut butter and jelly crackers, water, granola bars, soup. I try to get calories in any way I can, even if they are in the form of a liquid or not really all that nutritious.

I hear you on the weight gain issue. I haven't gained a lot either at 24 weeks. I'm hoping they will tell me I've gained a few at tomorrow's appt and that I will continue to gain as she does over the next 3-4 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
              Could you add in some meal replacement drinks, like Carnation instant breakfast or Ensure? Maybe as liquid, it won't feel like as much in your stomach?
              carnation instant breakfast got me through the first trimester!

I lost weight up until 24 weeks I think... right now I'm hovering at the 18 lb mark at 32 weeks... they didn't mention my weight gain/loss as a problem... so I wouldn't worry too much about it.. BabySz measured big at the anatomy scan then small at the second anatomy scan.. I think it can fluctuate a lot.
              Last edited by MrsSz; 09-10-2014, 11:44 AM.
              sigpic
              buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

I am definitely not the person to weigh in on nutritious snacks (currently eating half a Nutella brownie) - but you got some great suggestions. I just popped in to say I am LOVING the nickname BabyBaskets!!
                Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Well I'm doing pretty well so far today, with spaced out "meals" of greek yogurt, a flaxseed & raisin bar, a small portion of mushroom & pea risotto, and finally two sticks of string cheese with some orange juice. I was actually getting hungry so I went for the cheese sticks and orange juice, and now I'm full. :/ Ugh. I'm going to be snacking until bedtime at this rate. Headed to the grocery store after work to get some more Kind bars and other fun stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSz View Post
                    carnation instant breakfast got me through the first trimester!

I lost weight up until 24 weeks I think... right now I'm hovering at the 18 lb mark at 32 weeks... they didn't mention my weight gain/loss as a problem... so I wouldn't worry too much about it.. BabySz measured big at the anatomy scan then small at the second anatomy scan.. I think it can fluctuate a lot.
                    Yeah I'm not actually all that concerned about weight gain... I've been gaining very very slowly but steadily. I'm just having some trouble with energy crashes and not feeling able to eat meals, and apparently I need to be a lot more thoughtful about my eating because unlike 1st trimester, carbs are no longer my BFF.

I think T&S might get credit for naming BabyBaskets over in the Photography board...

Comment

[QUOTE=MsSassyBaskets;728159

I think T&S might get credit for naming BabyBaskets over in the Photography board...[/QUOTE]

It's pretty cute!

Comment

thanks helpful post
                        Healthy Low Calorie Snacks

Comment

Working...
                        X