Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Family entertaining ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family entertaining ideas?

We're finally at a kid age (and house) that we can start inviting other families over. We had some friends over last Saturday and everyone had a blast. The kids (and dads!) danced off on the xbox and we really enjoyed all the laughs with friends we hadn't seen in a while. There are a few things that would make the party function better. Food is definitely one.

We had way too many yummy appetizers (sent DH to the grocery store!) so no one was hungry for dinner. However, I do want some appetizers to tie people over they can visit before diving into dinner. We hit the easy button on dinner and picked up pizzas from the deli and threw a salad together. It's easy and kids (generally) like pizza. Not the best adult food, but again easy.

This weekend we're having another family over. We'll be four adults and seven kids deep. Picked up pictionary and I'm organzing a kiddo dance off. I've decided to post a large sheet with rotating names and starring the person that picks the song. There was some tears and fighting with just one extra friend last weekend. We'll be almost doubling the number of kids (fights) this weekend. So we'll have an active evening too. Should kids eat seperately and then play while adults eat? Sometimes is hard to pull the adults away when the kids are dancing or fighting. Would it be more relaxing to all sit down together? Ideas for feeding a crowd of 11? Chili is always easy, but kids don't like it. Chili and pizza with a chaser of tums?
    -Ladybug

What about make your own tacos/burritos? Could even add in quesadillas zapped quickly in the microwave.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Duh! That's a great idea. Taco day at the school cafeteria is insane. Kids run! I can make a taco bar. I'll check with the other family first. Taco salad is a nice adult twist without different ingredients. Thank you!
      -Ladybug

Comment

Sounds so fun!! I think I'd love entertaining more of DH didn't want to do a full day of cooking an elaborate meal for it... We've definitely done the too-many-appetizers thing. I'd recommend just setting out a cheese and meat plate with some crackers.

For the main dish, Pioneer Woman's Spicy Pulled Pork is great. (It's not really that spicy.) There's very little work at the end, and it cooks all day, so you can wash up most of your dishes before guests arrive and serve it in the pot it cooks in. We have it on buns or tortillas.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

You could also do some fajita meat, in addition to the traditional taco beef, if you wanted more options for the adults especially. This is a pretty easy chicken recipe that I made for a big group once, and it went over really well: http://realmomkitchen.com/9318/oven-...icken-fajitas/
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I second pulled pork in the crock pot and then also offer hot dogs for those not crazy about the pork. Then veggies and dip and a variety of chips and drinks. Ice cream bar for dessert
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Our go-to is grilling out. Mostly because grilling is a man's job and husband is more inclined to help that way. If I recall where you live correctly it's prob still warm enough for you guys to have some outside time with the kids too.

Comment

My go to, easy pre dinner appetizers are a veggie and dip platter, chips and dip, and cheese and crackers. Whats great about all these, is that they are great to munch on again after dinner when playing games.
                -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I think I've shared this before, but my kids like anything that's called a bar (hopefully only the innocent food type).
                  Potato Bar - Crock pot the potatoes, sour cream, cheese, broccoli, bacon, corn, beans, salsa
                  Taco Bar
                  Taco Salad bar
                  Crepe bar (we do sweet and savory toppings, which usually makes the kiddos and parents happy) - variety of berries, whipped cream, sautéed mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and garlic - I do it all in advance and just heat up the crepes in the microwave
                  Pasta bar - alfredo, pesto, red sauce, three shapes of pasta, veggie for a side, Italian sausage and/or meatballs in the crockpot
                  -Deb
                  Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Taco bar was a hit and super easy. I ended up buying most things premade, so I only browned/seasoned the meat and heated the shells. This was huge because we had birthday parties and late call-morning operations.

Kids were very happy, and they had fun building their own plates. I cooked a ton a ground turkey, and I have plenty to freeze for other dinners, taco pizzas, taco soup...

Thanks guys!
                    -Ladybug

Comment

Working...
                    X