Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anyone have a sidedish suggestion for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a sidedish suggestion for this?

So, I'm a bit dinner-party-hosting phobic, but hey, sometimes you have to have people over. On Saturday we're having a couple of friends over for dinner. We don't need to go over-the-top gourmet or anything, but we'd like to serve them grown-up food. One of our guests is a vegetarian who eats fish (there may be a separate word for that but I don't know what it is). I think we're going to make tuna burgers from Trader Joe's on some kind of fancy rolls with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and wasabi mayo.

What shall I serve on the side? I was kind of thinking baked sweet-potato fries, but I'm not sure I can cook up enough for four people on my one cookie sheet in my single-rack oven. Maybe some kind of rosemary mashed potato type thing? Any suggestions? All opinions welcome--I'm not even married to the tuna burger idea.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

I was thinking sweet potato fries before I read what you wrote! I like that idea, if you can swing it. I think mashed potatoes can be tricky for dinner guests because they taste best right after they are done and then you have to be cooking at the last minute and making sure everything is done at the same time. You could also do some stir-fry type broccoli on the side -- just steam and then saute with some soy sauce ginger & garlic.
    Sounds yummy!

I have yet to explore the Trader Joe's by our house (none in CO) -- this reminds me to make a trip.

Comment

That sounds yummy! Maybe you could also grill some portabella mushrooms as another burger choice? As a side, maybe an Asian noodle salad, like a Thai peanut or something?

Comment

I'm sure there's an official word for that kind of eater but I just call them "Fishetarians" and everyone knows what that means.

I second the asian salad theme. I think sweet potato fries could be could but sound like a pain in the butt to deal with. If you're stuck on the sweet potato thing, splurge and get those Terra Chips that are the sweet potato kind- chips always go with burgers anyway!

Jenn

Comment

Yummy..... I think sweet potato fries sounds awesome....I also like eggplant fries

I think I need a midnight snack.... 8)
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

mmm....Thai peanut noodles...I need a midnight snack too.
            But it's not midnight.

Comment

Working...
            X