Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

White Trash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Trash

many different varieties of this recipe exist, but this is my favorite

1 cup creamy peanut butter
    1 cup butter
    1 large bag of chocolate chips

melt together

spread/mix over 1 box rice Chex

shake in a trash bag with 1-2 boxes confectioner's sugar

try not to eat all at once
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

I always thought it was called Puppy Chow (neither name seems very appealing!)

Comment

We always called it "People Puppy Chow" and we would also pour a bag of red and green M&M's into the final product to give it a little color. Good stuff! I agree that neither name sounds appetizing.
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Mmmmm...it looks delicious! I think I'll make this for a party tomorrow. It's not fattening at all, right?? :walk:

Comment

Is melting chocolate extremely difficult?? For some reason, I've always thought it entailed candy thermometers, lots of horrible dishes, a ton of time and being precisely exact on everything. Thats why I never tried it. Is that how it is? I'd love to make this.

I've always heard it called Puppy Chow as well.

And you shake it in a trash bag?? Does a trash bag work better than a smaller bag??

Comment

It's very easy. Just don't get any water in it- it'll ruin it.

3 different ways from about.com

1. Microwave: Place unwrapped chocolate in a microwave-safe dish.
            2. Heat until melted (about 1 to 2 minutes for one chocolate square).
            3. Add 10 seconds per extra square.

4. Double Boiler: Place unwrapped chocolate in top pan.
            5. Melt over hot water.
            6. Stir for 10 to 12 minutes until melted.

7. Saucepan: Place unwrapped chocolate in pan.
            8. Melt over very low heat.
            9. Stir constantly.

Tips:

1. Moisture can cause chocolate to become stiff and lumpy.
            2. Add 1 teaspoon of shortening for each ounce of chocolate.
            3. Stir chocolate until smooth again.

Comment

Shella, I usually melt chocolate in the microwave on medium power being careful that it doesn't scorch.

Comment

I'm way less technical....I pour the entire bag of chips in a pot...put in a stick of butter and dump in the peanut butter...and stir....it's a pain to stir in the beginning so I usually just let it warm up and melt a bit before stirring....

If I'm feeling extra careful, I'll try to melt the butter first then add the chips and peanut butter.

Any bag works....but if you use a white trash bag it makes more sense to call it "white trash."
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele2005
                  Any bag works....but if you use a white trash bag it makes more sense to call it "white trash."
                  Plus the stuff turns white after you put the powdered sugar on it.
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Well I'm going to give it a try. But I'll have to wait until just before I leave for my parents house. Otherwise I will eat the entire batch, after convincing myself that its really only cereal, and cereal is good for you.

I loved it when kids would bring this for Christmas parties in grade school.

Comment

Working...
                    X