Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Key Lime Sugar Cookies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Lime Sugar Cookies

Some of you will be receiving these for the cookie exchange.

Makes 50 to 60 cookies (I got 60)

Recipe adapted by the Post staff from "The All-American Dessert Book" by Nancy Baggett.

1 Tbl + 1 tsp of corn oil or any other flavorless vegetable oil
    1 Tbl plus 1 tsp finely grated lime zest (key limes preferably, if you've got them)
    6 tbls fresh or bottled key lime juice
    1 3/4 cups flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking flour
    pinch of salt
    2/3 c of sugar
    7 tbls unsalted butter, slightly softened and cut into chunks
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp lemon extract or 1 tsp lime flavoring such as Boyajian
    Up to 1 tbl water, if needed.

3 tbl lime colored decorating sugar (my grocery store and the commissary were out so I just used the icing recipe that followed, and I found that the icing worked great!)

In a small bowl, combine the oil and the zest. Let stand, covered, for at least 30 minutes and up to several hours.

Meanwhile in a small non-reactive saucepan over medium heat, heat the lime juice until reduced to 2 1/2 tbls. Let cool to room temp.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

Using a stand mixer (I finally got to use my Komen Pink KitchenAid!), on medium speed, beat together the oil-lime zest mixture and the sugar until well blended. Add the butter, beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the reduced lime juice, the vanilla extract and the lemon extract/lime flavoring until well blended and smooth. Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in the flour mixture to form a smooth dough. If the dough seems soft, let stand for 5 minutes to firm up slightly. If it seems dry, stir in up to 1 tbl of water. (mine required the whole tablespoon of water)

Divide dough in half. roll out each portion between sheets of parchment paper or wax paper to a scant 1/4 inch thickness. Occasionally check the underside of the dough and smooth out any wrinkles. Stack the rolled portions (paper still attached) on a baking sheet. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes of freeze for about 15.

Position rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Grease several baking sheets or coat lightly with cooking spray.

Working with one portion of the dough at a time and keeping the rest refrigerated, gently peel off the top sheetof paper, then pat loosely back into place so it will be easy to remove later. Invert the dough and peel off the second sheet. Using a 2 1/4 inch round cutter, cut out the cookies. then cut each round in half with a sharp knife. If at any point the dough softens too much to handle easily, transfer the paper and the cookies to a baking sheet and recool until firm. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to the baking sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Re-roll any scraps and continue until all the dough is used. Generously sprinkle the tops with the decorating sugar.

Bake one sheet at a time for 7 to 11 minutes or until the cookies just begin to brown at the edges (they aren't kidding here- I let the first batch cook one minute too long and they got too done). If necessary reverse the sheet halfway through baking to ensure even browning. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Top with icing.

The Icing:

1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
    2 1/2 to 3 tbls key lime juice
    1 or 2 drops yellow food coloring
    1 or 2 drops green food coloring
    (I used four drops of Neon green from the new neon food colorings)

Mix until it will hold it's shape but still go through a confectioner's bag (or, I used a baggie and cut the tip off one corner)

To suggest limes, pipe icing along the perimeter of each cookie, then pipe a small dot in the center with lines radiating from the center (spokes) for the 'segments'.

and the best part? Each cookie is 19 calories- and that was calculated with the decorater's sugar!!

Enjoy-

Jenn[/i]

Oh my.

Jenn, I just logged on to BEG you for the recipe. We just got these this afternoon. Um, they're gone. Long gone. Wow. These are fantastic!!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Must make these soon. Very soon.

Wow.

Comment

Thanks for teh recipe. Lime is one of my favorites.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
      X