Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Chocolate Stout Cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate Stout Cake

For Jenn and Dagny and anyone else who loves chocolate cake. Even better with the chocolate glaze (sorry, it wouldn't ship well).

This was a lot to type. Hopefully there aren't too many typos.

Chocolate Stout Cake
    Yields 1 large bundt cake or 12 mini-bundts

1 1/4 c stout, such as Guinness (don't include foam when measuring)
    1/3 c dark molasses (not blackstrap)
    7.5 ounces (1 2/3 c) all purpose flour
    2.25 ounces (3/4c) unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process) and a little more for the pan
    1 1/2 t baking powder
    1/2 t baking soda
    1/2 t table salt
    10 oz (1.25 c) unsalted butter, soften to room temp; more for pan
    1.5 c packed light brown sugar
    3 large eggs, room temp
    6 oz semisweet chocolate, very finely chopped
    Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows) -- optional

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350 degrees. Butter a 10 or 12 cup bundt pan (or 12 minis) and then lightly coat with sifted cocoa powder. Tap out any extra cocoa.

In a small saucepan over high heat, bring the stout and molasses to a simmer. Remove from the heat and let stand while preparing cake batter.

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With a stand mixer (paddle attachment) or a hand mixer, cream the butter in a large bowl on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stop to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the eggs one at a time, stopping to scrape the bowl after each addition. With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the flour and stout mixtures, beginning and ending with the flour. Stop the mixer at least one last time to scrape down the bowl and then beat at medium speed until the batter is smooth, about 20 sec. Stir in the chopped chocolate.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan(s), spreading it evenly with a rubber spatula. Run a knife through the batter to eliminate any air pockets. Bake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs clinging to it, 45 to 50 minutes (about 35 min for the minis). Set the pan on a rack to cool for 20 minutes. Invert the cake onto the rack and remove the pan. Let cook until just barely warm. Drizzle w/ the glaze and then let cool to room temp before serving.

If you are making this ahead, wrap it while still barely warm without the glaze.

Chocolate Glaze:
    3/4 c heavy cream
    6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped

Bring cream to boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute and then whisk until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Let cool 5 minutes before using. Or, screw the cakes and just eat the glaze.

I give it a thumbs up (from personal experience).

I know you're tired of typing Nellie, but I still want the ginger cookie recipe, too.

Comment

I did post it! I swear!! In the cookie exchange section. I'll start a new topic for easy reference.

Comment

Re: Chocolate Stout Cake

Originally posted by nmh
        Or, screw the cakes and just eat the glaze.
        Now who would do such a thing?!

Thanks for the recipe! Does this mean I can buy the pan now?

Comment

oh man, a cake with Guiness. 8)

Comment

Re: Chocolate Stout Cake

Originally posted by Dagny
            Does this mean I can buy the pan now?
            Yes, join my obsession!
            You can make gingerbread espresso cakes (also what inspired pan purchase) or cute little individual coffee cakes....

Comment

YUM!!! I can't wait to make this!

Comment

Working...
              X