Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

tofu and tempeh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tofu and tempeh

Anyone have any good recipes for tofu or tempeh? I have been doing so well with my diet and exercise and really like the stuff ow, but need more recipes.
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Here's a great recipe for marinated, baked tofu:
    http://vegweb.com/recipes/tofu/3808.shtml

Per the comments, eliminate the salt, and bake for a long time, like 45 minutes to an hour. I find the combo of basalmic and soy to be really tasty! You can eat these chunks straight, or put them over salad, or in a sandwich.
    Alison

Comment

That sounds good, Alison. Yum. For something quick, I will put a little olive oil in a non-stick pan and cook tofu cubes for...a while. Until the get golden brown on both sides and then add to rice with veggies and soy sauce or a ginger sauce I like.

Deborah Madison has some good tofu recipes, IMO. Maybe you could find some of her books at the library. Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's kitchen is a newer one. They aren't super fat conscious so you might want to modify a bit.

Comment

Yeah, my other tofu staple is to marinate in a little soy thinned with water and vinegar, then saute till golden. Then I take it out, stir fry some broccoli and other veggies, then push them to the sides of the wok and put together a sauce from my Better Homes Light Cooking (or something) book -- soy, sherry, crushed red pepper, ginger, and corn starch. Boil that up till it thickens, stir the veggies back into it, stir the tofu in, let it all get warmed up, and serve it over brown rice.

Mmm, sounds good, maybe I should have that for dinner tonight!

I hope somebody comes up with a tempeh idea, I have yet to try it myself.
        Alison

Comment

I also use crumbled (with a fork) tofu in place of ground beef or turkey for things like tacos or sloppy joes. It doesn't have that beefy taste but does take on the seasoning well.

Alison, have you used seitan? I used to cook with that all the time and maybe got tired of it? It's good though. I prefer it to tempeh. Deborah Madison has some tempeh recipes in the book I mentioned.

Comment

I either stirfry it straight with vegetables, or I marinate it first in slices, in half tamari and half thai sauce, and then fry it with mushrooms and brocolli.
            Until my kids are about 18 months, they eat it straight in chunks. Raw.
            Pretty gross, huh?
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

Gross, yes. My 5 yo will still eat it cold, sliced right off the block. Yuck.

Comment

wow nellie that's impressive. my 5 YO nephew used to take frozen soy dogs and eat them straight.
                I think a new thread "disgusting things your kids have eaten" would get out of control pretty quickly. ::
                Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                Let's go Mets!

Comment

The soy dogs sound worse.
                  But she very willingly eats it cold and even prefers it that way at times, to be contrarian, perhaps? Mmmm, mmmm, nothing like a plate of cold tofu on a winter night.

Comment

eeeew to all of you.

Comment

Originally posted by jesher
                      eeeew to all of you.

I'm with you. I was thinking I was going to have to edit my foods I won't eat list. It gets longer by the day.
                      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
                        Alison, have you used seitan?
                        Nope. Remind me, seitan is wheat gluten and tempeh is -- what, a differently fermented soy product?

DH isn't too experimental into the whole "near meat" sector of cooking. I have to do my tofu etc. when he's not around. Fortunately he'll go in for the occasional meat-free meal (accept no substitutes!) Like falafel, or Tunisian chickpeas and chard.
                        Alison

Comment

I can't remember though wheat gluten sounds about right. I think you can make your own with flour? Sounds messy though. Has he tried Boca products? I think their chicken is better than real chicken. GimmeLean?

I think the only meat substitute I steer clear of is that Quorn stuff. The whole fungus thing sounds gross.

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
                            Has he tried Boca products? I think their chicken is better than real chicken. GimmeLean?
                            Yeah, we both got a little addicted to Morningstar Farms Buffalo Chik'n for a while. And we tend to keep the freezer stocked with fake breakfast sausage, either Boca or Morningstar. When I was seriously not eating meat, he would occasionally put up with GimmeLean in pasta or in Spinach and Sausage Pie, but he claimed it was just NOT the same.

I've heard that Quorn is the most chicken-like meat substitute, but yeah. Fungus. Bleah.
                            Alison

Comment

Thanks!!!! I made the tempeh last night using the recipe you posted Allison, it was really good. I like meat and fish but am tring to avoid meat. DH could easily be Vegan, he prefers no meat and will eat absolutely anything put in front of him!!!
                              Luanne
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X