Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Challah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challah

OK, so I broke the mixer trying hamantaschen, but I do make a mean challah. Though I'm on my 2nd bread machine, so perhaps I should just stay away from small appliances.
    The recipe is adjusted through trial-and-error...your bread machine may differ.
    here it is:
    First put in bread machine:
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup oil (I use canola)
    1/3 cup honey
    approx 3/4 cup warm water - you'll probably need more
    1.5 tsp salt

Then put in
    2 cups white flour
    1.5 cups whole wheat flour
    about 1/4 cup (a little less) gluten

Hollow out some space in the flour and put in
    2 tsp yeast.

Put bread machine on the dough cycle, and monitor. The dough will likely be too dry - add warm water 1 tsp at a time until good consistency.
    During cycle, add a bunch of raisins, if desired, toward the end of the kneading part.

After the cycle, take the dough out, punch it down, and split into either 6 or 9 parts. Braid into either 2 or 3 challahs, and place on greased pans, and cover. Let sit about an hour.
    If you want to glaze - after about 45 min., brush with a mixture of 1 egg yolk, pinch of salt and a tsp of water.

Put in preheated oven at 350 for about 30 min. Check frequently, remove when golden brown. Let cool, and put in airtight bags.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

How sticky is the dough for the braiding part? Our bread machine bit it in the last move and my husband 'thinks' he wants one- maybe once we move? What kind do you have?

Jenn

Comment

For the braiding, you don't want very sticky dough. After shaping into long strings, you can coat with a little bit of flour, so the strings don't stick.

We have an Oster. We used to have a Breadman, which I hated - the basket would always pop out, and when I made bread in the basket the paddle would always be stuck inside. Though that might happen with the Oster too - I've never used it for baking.
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Thanks fluff .. I'll try it. I also make a mean Challah -- just made it Saturday to make French Toast on Sunday. It's FABULOUS. I don't do the bread machine thing (have one, but rarely drag it out). I actually enjoy all the pounding and kneading. VERY good stress reliever.

I'll try this on a day when I want the Challah but don't have the time. Yours includes wheat flour, too, which mine does not -- so it's a good thing to try. Here's my recipe (just for the sake of comparison).

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
        * 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
        * 1/2 cup honey
        * 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
        * 3 eggs
        * 1 tablespoon salt
        * 8 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
        * 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over barely warm water. Beat in honey, oil, 2 eggs, and salt. Add the flour one cup at a time, beating after each addition, graduating to kneading with hands as dough thickens. Knead until smooth and elastic and no longer sticky, adding flour as needed. Cover with a damp clean cloth and let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until dough has doubled in bulk.
        2. Punch down the risen dough and turn out onto floured board. Divide in half and knead each half for five minutes or so, adding flour as needed to keep from getting sticky. Divide each half into thirds and roll into long snake about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Pinch the ends of the three snakes together firmly and braid from middle. Either leave as braid or form into a round braided loaf by bringing ends together, curving braid into a circle, pinch ends together. Grease two baking trays and place finished braid or round on each. Cover with towel and let rise about one hour.
        3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
        4. Beat the remaining egg and brush a generous amount over each braid. Sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.
        5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 40 minutes. Bread should have a nice hollow sound when thumped on the bottom. Cool on a rack for at least one hour before slicing.

I don't do the poppy seeds, though.

Comment

That sounds yummy. With all the handwashing I've been doing over the past few years, I can't knead dough - contact dermatitis, my hands would be bleeding all over the challah. ::
          I can't believe you made bread for french toast!! I thought you're supposed to use the stale leftovers?
          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
          Let's go Mets!

Comment

Oh, so hungry for some Challah French Toast.

I like the kneading too. That double rising always gets me -- I never start early enough.

I've got next weekend's project in sight.

Comment

Originally posted by fluffhead
              That sounds yummy. With all the handwashing I've been doing over the past few years, I can't knead dough - contact dermatitis, my hands would be bleeding all over the challah. ::
              I can't believe you made bread for french toast!! I thought you're supposed to use the stale leftovers?
              Blood would really ruin the challah. Stick with the bread machine.

I've also heard the stale leftover suggestion -- but never did it. The "Cooks Illustrated" Best Recipe said that challah was the best bread for french toast, so I tried it one time (with a loaf I bought at a kosher bakery). Since I love making bread, I decided to try this one time, and now whenever I want to impress someone I do it. The honey in this recipe works SO well with the apple pie spices I use in my egg dip. YUM!

Comment

A very yummy challah David. It's definitely healthier than mine. I'll enjoy it as a sandwich bread, but wouldn't use it for french toast b/c of the wheat.

Thanks for the recipe.

edited to add: the damn' dog loved it. he stole it off of the island while we were giving the boys a bath. I guess i need to go buy more honey tomorrow and try it again.

Comment

Glad to hear that you (and the puppy) enjoyed it.
                  Sometimes I put 2 cups whole wheat and 1.5 white instead.
                  Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                  Let's go Mets!

Comment

Working...
                  X