Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Side dish for pork loin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side dish for pork loin?

We are making a stuffed pork loin for our dinner party this weekend. It is stuffed with a polenta (actually pretty yummy) and served with a tart cherry sauce. Any ideas what I should put on the side? I keep thinking sauted fresh spinach with garlic and oil...but I don't think most people like that. (I do.... )
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

I wouldn't do anything too garlicky if it'll compete with the cherry tartness.

If the cherries are truly tart, I'd counter act with something on the bland/sweet (not too sweet though) side. Either a kiss winter good-bye mashed sweet potatoes/carrots side (basically mash them together w/ cream and butter) or a welcome spring tossed baby lettuces with strawberries and a nice blue cheese crumbled on top- maybe with some candied pecans or walnuts or a welcome spring steamed asparagus with steamed baby peas. (maybe a dill or tarragon infused olive oil sprinkled on top.)

But that's just me.

Jenn

Comment

I like all of those ideas -- spinach, salad, sweet potatoes or butternut squash.

And, dang it!, I was just at TJs and forgot the EVOO. Doh!

Comment

I wish you guys could come! I'll be with the mismatched neighbors. I think I'm going shopping tonight to see what looks good in the produce section. Thanks for all the suggestions. (I love the salad combo Jenn....I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.)
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Ladybug's post reminded my off an easy spinach and strawberry salad that is yummy on all recipes.

http://salad.allrecipes.com/az/Spinacha ... ySalad.asp

Put the dressing on just before serving.

Also, I have a salad recipe that uses candied almonds and mandarin oranges if you want that one. You could easily add bleu cheese and/or dried cranberries to either of these.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Yum! So, I'm invited to dinner, right? :yum:

Comment

What time would you like us to arrive? Can I bring a bottle of wine?

Comment

Uh, Nellie.....you're bringing dessert! In fact, you are always bringing dessert. Former pastry chef and all that. But you can bring the wine, too.

I hear we are having martinis first with an unnamed appetizer, then chocolate fondue and coffee at the dessert house. Yum. I'm just hoping that the pork loin cooks OK in my automatic oven while I'm downing drinks at the neighbors. I hadn't really considered how this progressive thing would be affected by the actually cooking. I'm planning on preparing the loin and putting it in to roast while we are at drinks. My oven turns on and off automatically, so I'm hoping that will help. It cooks for 40 minutes. I'll have to do the veggies when we get here, of course. And the cherry sauce, since it's made from deglazing the roasting pan. This would all be easier with a personal chef.
                Angie

Comment

Working...
                X