Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Passover recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passover recipes

My husband is Jewish and I am not. He loves the food for passover and I think it is so bland. He grew up thinking gourmet was takeout or opening a can!!!! Any recipes here for "tasty: food. I usually do a seder for him (usually at midnight!!!). My Matzoh Ball soup is great, but the other dishes I need help with.
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

I made a really good almond sponge cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting a few years ago -- and I can't find the recipe anywhere!

It was a hit and tasty enough to make anytime of the year.

Comment

I made a fantastic fruit tart that I got from Vegetarian Times a few years back. (I'm the token Goyum/schiksa at the Holidays of my room-mate from college.)

I'm sure it's in their archives. They had a lot of other great Passover recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
        I made a really good almond sponge cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting a few years ago -- and I can't find the recipe anywhere!

It was a hit and tasty enough to make anytime of the year.
        Well, that's really helpful, Nellie!

Seriously, why do I torture myself by trolling around on the recipe board anyway. I love to bake pastries and cakes. If we ever get together, I would love to learn some of your tricks of the trade.

I have a to die for creme custard with cream cheese dessert topping if anyone wants that recipe. My very own recipe and tweakable. I wonder if I can find it... :>
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I found it. Thanks to some prodding from Heidi. That means someone has to make it!! Not sure about the grated almonds, I think I ground them in the food processor. The cake is good but it is really just an excuse for the frosting.

Ann Levin's Cake

12 eggs (8 separated, 4 whole)
          1 3/4 c sugar
          3/4 c passover cake flour
          1/4 c potato starch
          3 T Manischewitz wine
          1 c grated almonds or walnuts

Beat 8 yolks and 4 whole eggs. Add sugar, beating well. Add sifted flour and starch, nuts, then wine. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites (big rubber spatula to bottom of bowl and up, careful not to squish out fluff of egg whites). Bake in round cake pans @ 350, checking at 45 minutes. Takes 45 - 60 minutes.

French Frosting
          6T sugar
          4 T Hershey's cocoa
          1 pint whipping cream

Combine and refrigerate overnight. Whip in mixer and frost cake.

Comment

Thanks Nellie (and Heidi!!). I'm off to the grocery store this afternoon.
            Luanne
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Since I found the recipe, I figured I better send it to anyone who might make it in case I lose it again. Got another one back. You don't have to follow it to the letter.

In return, I am sharing my recipe for a delicious fried matzoh breakfast.

1 box matoh
              1 doz eggs
              maple syrup to taste

Whip the eggs in a large bowl. Crumble to matzoh into the eggs and
              allow to sit until soaked. Fry the mixture 1/2 cup at a time in a hot
              skillet. Don't forget the oil! Serve with warm maple syrup. Eat
              sparingly. When you are reasonably sure that the in-laws aren't
              watching, take the kids out to Annie's for biscuits and bacon.
              Hag Samaech!

Comment

Working...
              X