Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Dregs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dregs

Well, we're getting to that "I'm not moving this can of ____ once more" time of the moving season.

So far I've managed to use up the regular stuff- soy sauce, cheddar cheese, eggos, bunches of frozen veggies.

Tomorrow the goal is to use up the frozen broccoli, the frozen peas/carrots and the chicken breasts that are dethawing. I can't do one more stir fry. (besides, I have no rice or say sauce)

I do have a can of cream of asparagus- anyone have a semi-creative casserole recipe that encompasses any or (hopefully all) of the above.

The next big challenge is the beans. I have every variety of dried or canned bean known to man.

Jenn

cream of asparagus ::

I'll be more help with the beans.

Comment

I like making a big old stew in the crockpot with 3 or 4 kinds of beans.
      I soak them to lessen their, ahem, volatility, and then rinse them a few times. I use the soaking water to irrigate plants - they like it.
      Crockpot with potatoes, celery, carrots, garlic, tomato sauce, soy sauce (oh forgot you used that up - make sure you add salt then), yams, cooking wine, whatever else you have in the pantry. Cook the hell out of it for 8 or 9 hours on low. Leave it in the crockpot on "keep warm" for days, if you like. seriously.
      This is really a winter dish, but I don't know any other way to get rid of large quantities of beans, other than to be an unwanted visitor at weddings. You can start a new tradition - throwing rice just doesn't provide a complete protien now, does it?
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

I've got a good soup recipe with sausage, kale and white beans. You could also do chili. We make black beans here all the time in the crockpot and serve them with brown rice. I'd start soaking now. Let me know if you actually want a recipe for any of these things.

You could also just move them and plan on taking the crockpot out of one of your first boxes unpacked. Then you could eat bean dishes that cook all day while you are unpacking stuff in TX. Besides, beans seem to go with Texas - don't they?
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Angie -

I'll take any black bean recipes you've got. I LOVE black beans.

Comment

Working...
          X