Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Super Easy Indian Chicken

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Easy Indian Chicken

I experimented with this last week, and dh liked it. Usually experiment + Indian food = disaster ... but this one was good.

Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala

1 whole roaster
    lemon juice (1 T or so)
    1 T cumin
    2 t cinnamon
    1 T (or more) cayenne pepper
    ground black pepper - to taste
    fresh ginger - lots
    1 T salt
    2 T butter
    2 - 3 cloves garlic minced
    1 - 2 (or more) chopped jalapeno peppers
    1 can diced tomatoes w/spicy peppers (like rotel)
    1 can tomato sauce

throw in and cook all day on low. before serving add 1/2 and 1/2 to sauce and top with fresh cilantro. serve with rice.

i made this up, so all measurments are approximate (sorry). dh really liked it. you can add more pepper towards the end if you like it spicier.

That sounds really good. How much half and half did you use?
    Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
    Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

around a cup. it just depends on how creamy you want it. the original chicken tikka recipe i've used actually calls for heavy cream - but i wasn't willing to go that route.

Comment

This sounds very good, I'll try it.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Mmmm...my kitchen smells really good right now. Can't wait to try it!

Now if I can persuade DH to pick up some naan on his way home...
          Married to pediatric surgery fellow, SAHM to 2 munchkins

Comment

ooooh! i hope you like it!

Comment

Yum, this recipe was delicious, Jenn! DH and DD both liked it A LOT. It was so easy and quick, too. My roommate from college has tried to show me how to make some favorite Gujdrati dishes, but they're usually so time consuming and involve so many ingredients (she has this HUGE spice collection in lots of little silver tins). Would you happen to know quick and easy way to make a yogurt curry?

Thanks again for sharing -- definitely a keeper!!
              Married to pediatric surgery fellow, SAHM to 2 munchkins

Comment

I have the same tins - bought by MIL when DH and I moved in together. I think she figured even if her son had to live with the white gold digger, he would eat well. I referred to it as the "wheel of death" for several years -- only started learning to cook Indian over the past few years.

I'm glad you liked the chicken!

I do not have a recipe for yogurt curry -- but will get one for you from MIL.

Comment

What do you do with the ginger? Grate it or slice it and throw in chunks of it?

Is it super spicy? I'm thinking for my kids. Sometimes all that spice will mellow and sometimes not.

Sorry for all the questions...

Comment

i use fresh (actually frozen) ginger and grate it with the microplane. it's not super-spicy. i think cooking it for so long kind of mellows the spice out. when i make it again i'll add some fresh peppers close to the end of cooking.

be warned - it is ugly. my kids wouldn't have touched it with a 10 foot pole. indian food is NOT pretty.

Comment

OK, now I'm salivating for Indian food.

Unfortunately, my crock pot is somewhere in the depths of the storage unit and the budget currently precludes eating out.

UGH.

this is going to be a craving that isn't going to go away either, I don't think!

India Palace, India Palace, India Palace, oh how I miss you...

Jenn

Comment

SO has been talking about taking me to an Indian restaurant since we started dating (yeah, check the ticker, it's been a while!) but we've never gone for one reason or another.

So I've never had Indian food.....

Comment

I'm making this tomorrow night. I had to call Jenn from the grocery store today because I couldn't remember if it was a whole chicken.

I've got naan bread and stuff for raita and I'm ready for Indian food!

Comment

I'm going to make this. I've been following this thread and I'm going to DO IT. It sounds delicious! Jenn, can you think of any other veggies to put in it? Would it be possible?

Nellie, tell us how yours turned out!
                            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

you could throw some garbanzos and some sweet peas in, or some potatoes. i've not had good luck with eggplant (but my MIL cooks several dishes w/eggplant). I suppose you could add spinach, but I've not cooked much with spinach. Those are mostly southern dishes. My dh is Gujarati, which is pretty much in the middle of the country, but considered northern.

Comment

Working...
                              X