Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

cabbage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cabbage

I think I ask this every year, so here goes. Do you have any good recipes for cabbage? I like cabbage but run out of ideas. Thanks.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Luanne,

This is the easiest cabbage recipe.

Sautee sliced cabbage and onions in soup stock for about ten mintues. Put the sauteed mix into a large cooking pan with a beef or pork roast. Cover and put in the oven for about three hours. Spice. Throw in some garlic. It is delicious and great for keeping the house warm in winter.

Comment

the only thing i know (or am willing) to do with cabbage is to use it to relieve pain when weening babies.

i hate cabbage.

Comment

[quote="jesher"]the only thing i know (or am willing) to do with cabbage is to use it to relieve pain when weening babies. [quote]

Really??! How does this work??

Comment

i have no idea how it works. i just know that it does.

one of the miracles of nature, i guess.

Comment

Oh, I mean what do you do with the cabbage? Is it topical or do you eat it?

Comment

you're supposed to tuck the leaves in your bra and let nature do the rest.

not something you leave the house with ...

Comment

I only use cabbage for salads but Eastern European cuisine has tons of recipies. Look for a Polish cook book next time you're in a store. My mom basically uses it in soups, sautes and rolls meat in it (think stuff pepper but with cabbage instead of pepper). I keep asking her for the borsht recipe but then get lazy about all the prep and loose it. She makes two versions, a cold one for the summer and a hot one for the winter.

Comment

Here's a famous Irish recipie for cabbage. It's probably the most loved meal in the country. Very simple. It is difficult to get the correct ham here though.

-Shoulder of ham (non-smoked, low water content, if you can get it)
                  -Head of cabbage

1. Boil ham in a saucepan full of water for 1 1/2 hours.
                  2. Change water once or twice during this time period, depending on how salty the ham is.
                  3. Wash cabbage, break into pieces and add to saucepan with ham.
                  4. Boil for another 1/2 hour or until cabbage is soft.
                  5. Remove ham and carve into slices.
                  6. Strain cabbage.
                  7. Serve together with boiled or mashed potatoes.

This is probably my favourite meal, although I do find it difficult to get ham here.
                  Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                  Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by sp2809
                    This is probably my favourite meal, although I do find it difficult to get ham here.
                    Depending on where you are in PA, you may want to search out local farmers to see if you can get it 'straight from the source' - so to speak. that way you can avoid the 'smoking', etc.

Comment

If you are anywhere near Bucks County, Pa I can tell you about a great pork farm! We are in NJ but just at the state line and 15 miles from this farm
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

VA has the best ham! We're not too far away so I'm sure you could order it from a store here and have it shipped for not too much. Smithfield hams are great! (Or I can see if there is a way to send it???)

Comment

Yeah, we're pretty near Bucks County. I never thought of going directly to the farmer, I guess you do that here instead of going to the butcher. I learn something new every day!
                          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Yeah, we're pretty near Bucks County. I never thought of going directly to the farmer, I guess you do that here instead of going to the butcher. I learn something new every day!
                            I grew up in Ohio - which has LOTS of farms, but I never would have thought of going to the farmer until I moved to Kansas. Now we're waiting on the cow and pig we've ordered and are sharing w/the neighbors!

Comment

For a side dish, I like to sautee cabbage with good olive oil and salt -- and some curry powder. It may sound odd but it's good (just don't go overboard on the curry powder the first time).

Comment

Working...
                              X